18.1401, Jobs: Comp Ling: Team Leader/Full Time Employee, Zi Corporation

Wed May 9 14:19:30 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1401. Wed May 09 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1401, Jobs: Comp Ling: Team Leader/Full Time Employee, Zi Corporation

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-May-2007
From: Cassandra Gorski < cgorski at zicorp.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Team Leader/Full Time Employee, Zi Corporation, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 10:16:24
From: Cassandra Gorski < cgorski at zicorp.com >

Web Address: http://www.zicorp.com

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Zi Corporation is a technology company that delivers intelligent interface
solutions to enhance the user experience of wireless and consumer
technologies. Zi's product portfolio dramatically improves the usability of
mobile phones, PDA's, gaming devices and set-top boxes and the applications
on them. Zi supports their strategic partners and customers from offices in
Asia, Europe and North America. A publicly traded company, Zi Corporation
is listed on the Nasdaq National Market (ZICA) and the Toronto Stock
Exchange (ZIC).

Linguistics Team Leader

Reporting to the Manager - Linguistics, this position located in Calgary,
Alberta, Canada involves the professional application of skills and
knowledge to both direct the work of colleagues and act as an individual
contributor to develop information structures and formal algorithms for
language processing.

Key Responsibilities Include:
-  Provide guidance and direction for the linguistics team to meet a
dynamic delivery schedule
-  Provide accurate and realistic estimates for budget and schedule
-  Plan and allocate resources for existing and new projects
-  Formalize, review and document linguistic practices and processes to
ensure traceability and quality
-  Fulfill internal and external information and/or product requests
-  Define and work with language characteristics and behavior across the
full spectrum of language types in order to guide the development of
language databases and software which processes written and spoken text
-  Participate in further developing the intelligence of and applications
of the linguistic databases

Skills and Qualifications:
-  Minimum Masters degree in Linguistics. PhD is preferred.
-  Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
-  Supervisory experience in an academic or professional setting
-  Demonstrated research and professional experience in Corpus Linguistics,
Computational Linguistics and Lexicography, with published articles in any
of these fields
-  Strong background in theoretical linguistics
-  Documentation and business communication skills in English
-  Demonstrated research / professional experience with languages of varied
families; a specialty in Indic or African languages would be advantageous
-  Exposure to non-Latin writing systems such as Arabic and CJK languages
-  Strong computer skills (especially Microsoft, Access and Excel)
-  Exposure to project management concepts
-  Relocation is provided

The Zi culture is constantly evolving, highly entrepreneurial and
multi-cultural. We offer our employees the freedom to grow their skills. We
invest in our employees; we promote from within, and we provide competitive
compensation.

Application Address:
	Zi Corporation, Attn: Human Resources
	Suite 2100, 840 - 7 Avenue SW