18.3088, Sum: Corpus Linguistics and Frequency

Mon Oct 22 14:30:42 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3088. Mon Oct 22 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3088, Sum: Corpus Linguistics and Frequency

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Oct-2007
From: Peyton Todd < peytontodd at mindspring.com >
Subject: Corpus Linguistics and Frequency

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:29:52
From: Peyton Todd [peytontodd at mindspring.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3088.html&submissionid=159287&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 18.2793

Many thanks to Roger Levy, Maria Giagkou, Balint Tanos, Aida Zitouni, Holly
Jacobson, Cedric Krummes, Karen Englander, Gill Philip, Martin Volk, N.
Wiedenmann, and Josh Viau for their answers to my recent query regarding
sources of information about corpus linguistics and frequency. In further
expression of my gratitude, and as a boon to others sharing my interest, I
provide below a summary of the replies I received.

Peyton Todd

BOOKS AND ARTICLES:

1. Baker, Paul (2006). Using Corpora in Discourse Analysis. London:
Continuum, 0-8264-7725-9

2. Biber, Douglas. Dimensions of Register Variation using
Multifeature/multidimensional analysis.

3. Hunston, S. & G.Francis, Pattern Grammar   (J. Benjamins)

4. Meyer, Charles F. (2002). English Corpus Linguistics: An Introduction .
Cambridge University Press. (ISBN: 052100490X)

5. Roland, Douglas, Frederic Dick, and Jeffrey L. Elman (2007). Frequency
of basic English grammatical structures: A corpus analysis. Journal of
Memory and Language 57(3):348-379.

6. Sinclair, John. Reading Concordances.

7. Sinclair, John. Trust the Text.

Also, 'the works of Joan Bybee', listed at http://www.unm.edu/~jbybee/

HANDS-ON SEARCHES:

1. Bank of English (= Collins, below)

2. British National Corpus: http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/

3. Collins WordbanksOnline concordance sampler
http://www.collins.co.uk/Corpus/CorpusSearch.aspx

4. Introductory website:
http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/clmt/w3c/corpus_ling/content/introduction.html

5. Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC) at the University of Pennsylvania.WebSearch

6. Phrases in English: http://pie.usna.edu/, which uses the BNC

7. http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/

8. http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/

9. TIGER-Search (freely available from the University of Stuttgart)

10.The Penn Treebank (for English).

SOFTWARE

1. The TextSTAT (free):
http://www.niederlandistik.fu-berlin.de/textstat/software-en.html

2. The WordSmith Tools (not free, but inexpensive):
http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/

3. AntConc: downloadable for free at:
http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/software.html

4. ConcApp: available from www.edict.com.hk/PUB/concapp/

A LIST SERVER FOR FURTHER QUERIES:

1. Corpora at uib.no

And an INDIVIDUAL:

Prof. Dr. Dietmar Zaefferer,
Ludwig-Maximilians-University at Munich, Germany
(who is very friendly) who has data on all languages of the world
(Computational Linguistics)

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics