18.2714, Jobs: English & Applied Ling: Asst Prof, Northern Arizona University

Tue Sep 18 15:21:45 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2714. Tue Sep 18 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2714, Jobs: English & Applied Ling: Asst Prof, Northern Arizona University

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Sep-2007
From: Joan Jamieson < joan.jamieson at nau.edu >
Subject: English & Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:20:13
From: Joan Jamieson [joan.jamieson at nau.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2714.html&submissionid=156541&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Northern Arizona University
Department: English Department
Web Address: http://www.cal.nau.edu/english/tesl_default.asp

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; ESL Learning & Teaching

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The applied linguistics faculty in the English Department at Northern
Arizona University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant
professor beginning in August, 2008. We seek a colleague whose primary
research and teaching interests are in English as a second language
learning and teaching, with an emphasis in oral proficiency preferred.
Duties will include teaching courses in the MA-TESL program, the applied
linguistics doctoral program, and the English undergraduate program. Duties
will also include research, advising and mentoring, and department,
university, and community service.

Minimum qualifications:

1. Doctorate in applied linguistics or related field, in hand at time of
appointment
2. Experience teaching ESL/EFL

Preferred qualifications:

1. Clear, data-driven, empirical research agenda
2. Record of refereed publications in TESL/Applied Linguistics
3. Preferred areas of specialization include speaking and/or listening
skill development, oral language assessment, pedagogically motivated
analyses of spoken corpora, instructed SLA, computer-assisted language
learning, or classroom-based research
4. Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in TESL,
listening/speaking methodology, introductory linguistics
5. Ability to teach other courses to meet program needs, and to develop new
courses in area of specialization
6. Ability to mentor graduate students
7. University teaching experience
8. Experience with materials preparation, curriculum development, program
evaluation, and teacher training
9. Professional fluency in English
10. Commitment to working with diverse populations

To apply, submit the following materials. This position will be open until
filled or closed.

1. Letter of application & CV
2. List of courses taught (titles, levels, and locations)
3. Sample publications
4. Complete set of graduate school transcripts
5. Three reference letters addressing qualifications for the position, sent
directly to the search committee

About Applied Linguistics in Flagstaff:

The applied linguistics faculty members are active scholars, teachers and
mentors, and professionals. Our group focuses on the learning/teaching of
English as a second language and the description of spoken/written English.
We engage in empirical and theoretical inquiry of language and language
pedagogy, from both linguistic and cognitive orientations. Our primary
teaching mission is to serve students in two graduate programs: MA-TESL and
PhD in Applied Linguistics. We also have a Program in Intensive English. We
offer undergraduate courses for BA English and BS Ed English majors/minors,
and Liberal Studies' requirements. Northern Arizona University is a
20,000-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season
community of about 57,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks.

NAU's emphasis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate
programs and research as well as distance learning. The university is
committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment.

Application Deadline: 22-Oct-2008 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Professor Joan Jamieson
	Applied Linguistics Search Committee
	Department of English