19.1258, Qs: Prepositional Dative as the Only Ditransitive?

Sun Apr 13 22:20:39 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1258. Sun Apr 13 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1258, Qs: Prepositional Dative as the Only Ditransitive?

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Apr-2008
From: Mikko Kupula < mikko at ling.su.se >

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:19:20
From: Mikko Kupula [mikko at ling.su.se]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1258.html&submissionid=175182&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hi,

Is anyone aware of languages in which the only possible ditransitive
construction is the construction usually referred to as the ''prepositional
dative''? In many languages there are two variants of ditransitives, the
''double object construction'' (I gave my friend a book) and the
''prepositional dative construction'' (I gave a book to my friend). As far
as a know, the prepositional dative construction is the only one available
in languages like Persian, French and Italian. Is this phenomenon attested
more widely?

best regards,
Mikko

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax