19.3927, Qs: Web Phonetic Experiment/Survey

Sun Dec 21 15:04:46 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3927. Sun Dec 21 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3927, Qs: Web Phonetic Experiment/Survey

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Dec-2008
From: Anastazija Kirkova-Naskova < akirkova at t-home.mk >
Subject: Web Phonetic Experiment/Survey

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:03:29
From: Anastazija Kirkova-Naskova [akirkova at t-home.mk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3927.html&submissionid=200346&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear Colleagues,

My name is Anastazija Kirkova-Naskova, Teaching Assistant in English
Phonetics and Phonology at Skopje University. I am writing this e-mail to
ask for your co-operation in an on-line phonetic experiment related to
cross-language segmental phonology.

This experiment is part of my MA study which concentrates on
Macedonian-English learner language. It aims to describe the phonological
phenomena that are most striking in the Macedonian-English accented speech
as perceived by native speakers of English. It also examines the
relationship between speech perception and speech production in the
acquisition of certain English phonemes which are difficult for Macedonian
learners of English.

The successful completion of my study depends, however, on the number of
English native speakers willing to participate in the experiment. Having in
mind the limitations I encountered when designing the methodology (no
financial support and lack of phonetically trained experts in Macedonia)
and the benefits of the approach (wider audience, fast results), I have
developed an online application with audio files and a set of questions.

This consists of recordings of three tasks (a word list, a passage and free
speech); the listener is expected to rate the subjects' accent and make
comments related to their speech. The total duration of the speech stimuli
is approximately one hour and the overall duration of the experiment
depends on the listener's personal pace. The application is expected to be
completed in December 2008, and the results to be gathered in the period
between January 9th - 20th, 2009 (subject to agreement).

I would be extremely grateful if you would consider participating in this
experiment. Your contribution to this study as a native speaker and an
expert phonetician is of crucial significance.  If you are available in
this period and willing to help please contact me so that I can keep you
up-dated. I would also appreciate if you could tell me which period (or
exact date) is most convenient for you so that I can plan the dynamics of
the project.

In case you are familiar with similar studies involving online-conducted
phonetic experiments, I would also be very grateful if you could share the
details. I will post a summary of your answers.

Thank you for your understanding and support. Looking forward to receiving
your reply.

Sincerely yours,

Anastazija Kirkova-Naskova
Teaching Assistant
Faculty of Philology
Ss Cyril and Methodius University, Skopje

e-mail:		akirkova at t-home.mk
phone: 		+389 70 350 531

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics
                     Phonology