19.522, Qs: Article Typology

Wed Feb 13 22:31:33 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-522. Wed Feb 13 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.522, Qs: Article Typology

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Feb-2008
From: Gavin Austin < gaustin2 at une.edu.au >
Subject: Article Typology

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:30:28
From: Gavin Austin [gaustin2 at une.edu.au]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-522.html&submissionid=169181&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear colleagues,

I have a query relating to article typology. I'm interested in finding
examples of the following patterns if they are known to exist. (Sinhala is
an example of (1), but I'd like to find a couple more examples.)

(1) singular: definite article: NO; indefinite article: YES
plural: definite article: NO; indefinite article: NO

(2) singular: definite article: YES; indefinite article: NO
plural: definite article: NO; indefinite article: NO

(3) singular: definite article: NO; indefinite article: NO
plural: definite article: YES; indefinite article: NO

(4) singular: definite article: NO; indefinite article: NO
plural: definite article: NO; indefinite article: YES

(5) singular: definite article: NO; indefinite article: YES
plural: definite article: NO; indefinite article: YES

I'd be very grateful for any help with this.

Best,

Gavin Austin
U of New England

Linguistic Field(s): Typology