19.2191, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Asst Prof, University of Victoria

Wed Jul 9 15:14:23 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2191. Wed Jul 09 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2191, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Asst Prof, University of Victoria

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Jul-2008
From: Gretchen McCulloch < gmoyer at uvic.ca >
Subject: Sociolinguistics: Asst Prof, University of Victoria, BC, Canada

Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:12:09
From: Gretchen McCulloch [gmoyer at uvic.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2191.html&submissionid=184005&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Victoria
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Web Address: http://www.uvic.ca/ling/

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Victoria invites
applications for an entry-level  tenure-track Assistant Professor in
sociolinguistics beginning 1 July 2009. By the time of appointment
applicants are expected to have a PhD in Linguistics with a specialization
in sociolinguistics, and a secondary specialization in an area that builds
on the department's strengths. The sub-areas within sociolinguistics that
are most compatible with our department's vision are those informed by
empirical research in areas such as language and identity, endangered
language studies, language variation and change, language and culture, or
social discourse. Please address your secondary specialization in your
letter of application. We are seeking candidates with an excellent record
of scholarly achievement and a commitment to excellence in undergraduate
and graduate teaching.

The responsibilities of this position include MA and PhD student
supervision and teaching in our undergraduate and graduate programs. Our
department has particular strengths in linguistic description and theory,
speech production and perception, second language and applied linguistics
research, community-based research, and languages of the Pacific Rim,
including Asian and North American languages. We seek an individual with
the ability to contribute strongly to the research profile of the
department and its administrative functions. Collaborative,
interdisciplinary research, teaching, and program development are also
encouraged.

Application Deadline: 17-Nov-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dr. John Esling