19.2193, Jobs: Computational Linguistics - NLU: Scientist, Nuance Communicatons

Wed Jul 9 15:34:14 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2193. Wed Jul 09 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2193, Jobs: Computational Linguistics - NLU: Scientist, Nuance Communicatons

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Jul-2008
From: Deanna Roe < deanna.roe at nuance.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics - NLU: Scientist, Nuance Communicatons, Merelbeke, Belgium

Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:33:25
From: Deanna Roe [deanna.roe at nuance.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2193.html&submissionid=184041&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communicatons
Department: R&D Embedded
Job Location: Merelbeke, Belgium
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com

Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language

Nuance is the leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for
businesses and consumers around the world.  Every day, millions of users
and thousands of businesses experience Nuance by calling directory
assistance, requesting account information, dictating patient records,
telling a navigation system their destination, controlling their mobile
phone or digitally reproducing documents that can be shared and searched.
With more than 2000 employees worldwide, we are committed to make the user
experience more enjoyable by transforming the way people interact with
information and how they create, share and use documents. Making each of
those experiences productive and compelling is what Nuance is about. To
strengthen our international team we are currently looking for a

Speech Scientist for Embedded Automatic Speech Recognition

Work Environment:
-  You will work in the Embedded ASR research and production team in
Merelbeke, Belgium or Aachen, Germany, working with state-of-the-art speech
technology, tools and runtime software. Both Gent and Aachen are nice,
historical European university cities.
-  You will work in an international company and cooperate with people on
various locations, from the USA up to Japan. You may occasionally be asked
to travel.
-  You will work on the localization and production of language variants
for our cutting edge speech recognition products targeted at automotive
platforms and mobile devices. You will help the engine cope with
multilingual speech in various noise conditions.
-  Initially, you will work on the production of language variants of our
acoustic models, later extending your knowledge towards production of
statistical language models and natural language dialogue systems.

Key Responsibilities:
-  Training of  acoustic models or statistical language models for new
languages.
-  Localizing natural language dialogue systems towards a specific market.
-  Contributing to the improvement, design, implementation, evaluation,
optimization and testing of new algorithms, tools and processes.
-  Supporting our professional services teams to contribute to customer
project success.
-  Assisting senior team members in research tasks.

Your Profile:
-  You have a University degree in linguistics, engineering, mathematics or
physics.
-  A PhD or similar experience in a relevant field is a plus.
-  Experience in acoustic modeling, NLU or statistical language modeling is
recommended.
-  Additional background in computational linguistics is a plus.
-  Working in Windows and Linux environments comes naturally to you.
Experience with computing farms and grid software is welcome.
-  You are knowledgeable about small, embedded platforms and requirements
of software applications designed for them.
-  Good software skills are required, especially scripting language like
Perl or Python in a Linux/Unix environment, and knowledge of C/C++.
-  Experience in speech processing or machine learning techniques is an asset.
-  You are a team player, willing to take initiative, and are goal oriented.
-  You have a strong sense of precision and quality in your daily job.
-  You are fluent in English and you can write high quality documentation.
-  You illustrate your interest in languages by speaking at least two other
languages.

Interested?

Please send your CV to Deanna Roe. If you have any questions, please
contact her at the number listed below.

We are looking forward to receiving your application!

The experience speaks for itself (TM)

Email Address for Applications: deanna.roe at nuance.com
Web Address for Applications: http://www.nuance.com
Contact Information: