19.2328, Sum: /l/-Palatalisation in the Complex Onset (2)

Wed Jul 23 15:28:47 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2328. Wed Jul 23 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2328, Sum: /l/-Palatalisation in the Complex Onset (2)

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Jul-2008
From: Daniela Müller < daniela-mueller at gmx.de >
Subject: /l/-Palatalisation in the Complex Onset (2)

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:27:42
From: Daniela Müller [daniela-mueller at gmx.de]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2328.html&submissionid=185201&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 19.2071

A week ago I posted a summary to my query (LL 19.2071) on
/l/-palatalisation in the complex onset. Several people have reacted to
this summary with new references and data. I therefore would like to post
this addendum to my original summary.

First, I would like to thank the following people for their responses to my
summary (in alphabetical order): Jeannette Denton, Isao Honda, John
Kingston, Martin Kümmel, Daniel Recasens, Norval Smith, Rudy Troike.

1) phonetic studies on /l/-palatalisation in the complex onset

Daniel Recasens and John Kingston pointed me to Hector Javkin's PhD thesis
(1977, Phonetic Universals and Phonological Change, UCalifornia at
Berkeley) who has investigated the phenomenon of /l/-palatalisation in the
complex onset using spectrographic analysis.

2) /l/-palatalisation in non-Romance languages

Both some Tibeto-Burman and Tai languages show the phenomenon of
/l/-palatalisation in clusters, as Norval Smith wrote. Isao Honda sent two
articles dealing with the phenomenon in Tibeto-Burman.

Martin Kümmel sent references for the phenomenon in the historical
phonology of Hungarian as well as in Albanian dialects (palatalisation
after velars). He also drew my attention to /l/-palatalisation in coda
position in some Arabic and perhaps also Dutch dialects.

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics