19.2364, FYI: Generative Approaches to German Speech Islands

Mon Jul 28 19:17:38 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2364. Mon Jul 28 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2364, FYI: Generative Approaches to German Speech Islands

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Jul-2008
From: Michael Putnam < mputnam at cn.edu >

1)
Date: 28-Jul-2008
From: Michael Putnam < mputnam at cn.edu >

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:16:19
From: Michael Putnam [mputnam at cn.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2364.html&submissionid=185504&topicid=6&msgnumber=1
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:16:20
From: Michael Putnam [mputnam at cn.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1.html&submissionid=185504&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

I intend to edit either a book or journal volume next year on generative
approaches to German language enclaves (i.e., Sprachinseln) outside of
Germany. I am especially interested in contributions that advance our
understanding of language island studies whilst at the same time employing
generative theory. Topics that are especially welcome (but in no way
exclusively restricted to) are the following:

-syntactic analyses (any generative framework is accepted)
-syntax-semantic interface issues
-semantics
-pragmatics
-phonetics
-phonetics-phonology interface
-historical linguistics
-discourse analysis
-morphology (also including distributed morphology)
-language contact/code-switching
-psycholinguistic approaches to language contact/language attrition

Although any German-language Sprachinseln may serve as the primary language
of analysis, papers that focus on the linguistic properties of these
enclaves in Australia, Brazil, Columbia, Romania and the United States are
especially welcome.

The volume is intended to be one dedicated to the generative treatment of
aspects of these dialects; however, abstract submitted on sociolinguistic
aspects of these language communities will be considered if the
contribution of the proposal is very strong and unique.

If you are interested in contributing to this volume, you are welcome to
submit a two-page proposal (excluding examples and references) in PDF
format to Michael Putnam (mputnam at cn.edu) no later than October 1, 2008.
Notification of acceptance will be sent out by November 1, 2008.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to be in touch with me.
Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely,
Michael Putnam
Carson-Newman College