19.2071, Qs: /l/-Palatalization in Complex Onsets

Mon Jun 30 01:15:27 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2071. Sun Jun 29 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2071, Qs: /l/-Palatalization in Complex Onsets

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-Jun-2008
From: Daniela Müller < daniela-mueller at gmx.de >
Subject: /l/-Palatalization in Complex Onsets

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:14:03
From: Daniela Müller [daniela-mueller at gmx.de]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2071.html&submissionid=183121&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear List Members,

A colleague and I are working on the palatalization of /l/ in complex
onsets, i.e. in the absence of a following palatal /i/ or /j/, a process
that took place in Italian and various other dialects of Romance languages.

(1) lat. PLATEAM > it. piazza
(2) germ. BLANK > it. bianco
(3) lat. CLAVEM > it. chiave
(4) lat. GLACIEM > it. ghiaccio
(5) lat. FLOREM > it. fiore

We would like to know whether
1. Anyone knows of any phonetic studies that have been conducted on this
subject, since we have been unable to locate one.
2. Anyone has encountered this phenomenon in a non-Romance language.

If there are enough responses, we will post a summary to the List.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Daniela Müller
Universitat de Tolosa 2 - Lo Miralh

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics