19.2949, Diss: Comp Ling/Lexicography/Mo rphology: Cartoni: 'De l'incompl étud...'

Mon Sep 29 17:25:51 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2949. Mon Sep 29 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2949, Diss: Comp Ling/Lexicography/Morphology: Cartoni: 'De l'incomplétud...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Evelyn Richter <evelyn at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-Sep-2008
From: Bruno Cartoni < cartonib at gmail.com >
Subject: De l'incomplétude lexicale en traduction automatique: vers une approche morphosémantique multilingue

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:23:16
From: Bruno Cartoni [cartonib at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2949.html&submissionid=191985&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:23:21
From: Bruno Cartoni [cartonib at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1.html&submissionid=191985&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Geneva
Program: Traitement informatique multilingue
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2008

Author: Bruno Cartoni

Dissertation Title: De l'incomplétude lexicale en traduction automatique: vers
une approche morphosémantique multilingue

Dissertation URL:  http://www.issco.unige.ch/staff/bruno/recherche.html

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Lexicography
                     Morphology

Subject Language(s): French (fra)
                     Italian (ita)

Dissertation Director(s):
Margaret King

Dissertation Abstract:

'Lexical Incompleteness in Machine Translation: a multilingual
morphosemantic approach'

The main objective of this research is to evaluate the exploitation of
inference between constructed neologisms in different languages, in the
context of machine translation. In the theoretical aspect of this work we
investigate the grounds for inferring neologisms between languages, and
propose a first attempt at modelling the inference through bilingual Lexeme
formation rules (LFR). To formalise these bilingual LFR, we propose a
methodology grounded in contrastive morphology, which allows us to compare
the morphological systems of the two languages chosen for this experiment
(Italian and French).

In the practical aspect of the work, we describe how we design and
implement a system that automatically translates prefixed neologisms from
Italian into French. Since such an implementation has to be able to deal
with numerous practical problems, especially those stemming from formal
ambiguities and the availability of adequate and appropriate resources,
each step of the translation process is evaluated and refined according to
the available resources. Finally, more general questions of feasibility and
portability are addressed, especially those concerning the possibility of
extending the system to other languages and to other morphological
construction processes.