20.2657, FYI: Endangered Language Poetry Project

Sat Aug 1 18:12:35 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-2657. Sat Aug 01 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.2657, FYI: Endangered Language Poetry Project

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Jul-2009
From: Doug Whalen < whalen at haskins.yale.edu >
Subject: Endangered Language Poetry Project

Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 14:10:41
From: Doug Whalen [whalen at haskins.yale.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-2657.html&submissionid=225508&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

Bob Holman, of the People's Poetry Gathering
(http://www.peoplespoetry.org), is putting together an unusual collection
of poetry--one line each from 100 different languages. Below is his
description of the project.

If you are interested, please contact Bob directly:  rh519 at columbia.edu.

Doug Whalen DhW
------
We are seeking help in creating a Cento, ''stitched-together'' poem,
created from 100 different endangered languages. The finished poem, with
each line attributed, language/creator/scholar identified, will then be
projected on the side on the United Nations and used in other ways to
illuminate the dire straits of so many languages.

This project, which is affiliated with the Peoples Poetry Gathering
(http://peoplespoetry.org), has a model in the Twin Word Towers which were
displayed at the New York Historical Society after September 11th
(http://peoplespoetry.org/pg_spotlighttwr.html).

We understand that cultures have different views of what is a poem, and may
not identify anything as poetry in the contemporary Western sense. We would
love to discuss these distinctions with you! In hopes of finding poetry
with versions in both English and the original language.

Please be in touch!

Bob Holman
rh519 at columbia.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature