20.403, FYI: Corpus of South African English available online

Mon Feb 9 19:25:21 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-403. Mon Feb 09 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.403, FYI: Corpus of South African English available online

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Feb-2009
From: Christiane Meierkord < christiane.meierkord at english.su.se >

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:23:23
From: Christiane Meierkord [christiane.meierkord at english.su.se]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-403.html&submissionid=204928&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the release of the first part of our Corpus
of Black and Coloured South African English in Contact is now available to
bona fide researchers. The data consists of interactions between South
African black and coloured individuals who do not share the same mother
tongue, conducted in English as a lingua franca. The conversations were
recorded and ethnographically transcribed between 2004 and 2007.

Further information about the project as well as on how to download the
transcripts is available at
www.lingua-franca-net.de/AfricanIdentities/SACorpus.html. The second half
of the transcripts will be released towards the end of this year.

Regards,

Christiane Meierkord

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Sociolinguistics