20.68, Support: Linguistics & Cog Sci: PhD Student, University of Rochester

Wed Jan 7 18:02:41 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-68. Wed Jan 07 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.68, Support: Linguistics & Cog Sci: PhD Student, University of Rochester

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Dec-2008
From: Jeffrey Runner < runner at ling.rochester.edu >
Subject: Linguistics & Cognitive Science: PhD Student, University of Rochester, NY, USA

Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:01:27
From: Jeffrey Runner [runner at ling.rochester.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-68.html&submissionid=200626&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University of Rochester
Department: Linguistics, Brain & Cognitive Sciences
Web Address: http://www.bcs.rochester.edu

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Teaching

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Linguistic Theories; Psycholinguistics

The Department of Linguistics and the Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences
at the University of Rochester invite applications from students interested in
pursuing a joint Ph.D. in Brain & Cognitive Sciences and Linguistics.

The Department of Linguistics (http://www.ling.rochester.edu/) combines
strengths in formal linguistics--syntax, semantics, pragmatics, phonetics and
laboratory phonology--with experimental and empirical methodologies. The
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences  combines strengths in language
research--language processing, language acquisition, brain and language--with
vision, and neuroscience, which includes computational neuroscience, learning
and plasticity. The language researchers in these departments--along with those
in Computer Science and Philosophy--constitute Rochester's Center for Language
Sciences.

We welcome applications from students interested in investigating the syntax,
semantics, and pragmatics of language, using experimental and empirical
techniques, and students interested in laboratory phonology and experimental
phonetics. We also welcome applications from students interested in
cross-linguistic and field-based research. In particular we seek applicants
interested in working in the interdisciplinary environment provided by the
Center for Language Sciences, which encourages using the tools of both
linguistics and the other cognitive sciences in investigating linguistic problems.

Students interested in the joint Brain & Cognitive Sciences/Linguistics Ph.D.
program should apply through the Brain & Cognitive Sciences department by January 1,
2009. We will also be accepting late applications. Please contact us if you are
planning
to submit a late application.

For further information, please go to the Center for Language Sciences web
pages (http://www.bcs.rochester.edu/cls/) or contact associated faculty.

Application Deadline: 01-Jan-2009

Web Address for Applications: http://www.bcs.rochester.edu/programs/graduate/how-to.html

Contact Information: