20.2604, Jobs: English & Cognitive Science: Post Doc, MPI

Sat Jul 25 13:26:54 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-2604. Sat Jul 25 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.2604, Jobs: English & Cognitive Science: Post Doc, MPI

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Jul-2009
From: Ina Grevel < ina.grevel at mpi.nl >
Subject: English & Cognitive Science: Post Doc, Max Planck Institute of Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, Netherlands

Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:24:45
From: Ina Grevel [ina.grevel at mpi.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-2604.html&submissionid=224868&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Max Planck Institute of Psycholinguistics
Job Location: , Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.mpi.nl

Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics is offering 2 post-doctoral
research positions in the field of the neurobiology of language production
and comprehension.

Position 1 (Unification). For the first position, we are looking for
candidates with a strong background in experimental cognitive neuroscience,
and a keen interest in how the human brain supports language. The candidate
is expected to conduct research within the contours of our Unification
project, where we use methods such as functional/anatomical MRI, MEG, EEG,
and TMS, to examine the neural systems involved in parsing, interpreting
and producing language. Core questions in this project are: How are
different sources of information (both linguistic and extralinguistic,
e.g., gestures) that are retrieved from memory and/or provided by sensory
input unified into an interpretation (comprehension) or message
(production) beyond the single word level? Which neural networks are
involved, and to what degree are these shared between production and
comprehension? Candidates with a background in neural modeling, or
connectivity analysis, are also welcome to apply.

Position 2 (Language in Action). For the second position, we are looking
for candidates with a strong background in experimental psycholinguistics,
social cognitive neuroscience, or experimental pragmatics, and with
experience or keen interest in taking a cognitive neuroscience approach to
situated language use. The candidate will conduct research within the
contours of our Language in Action project, where we use cognitive
neuroscience (including virtual reality and behavioral) methods to examine
the comprehension and production of utterances in richer goal-oriented
social and/or physical contexts. The two core areas of research within this
project are the neurocognition of dialogue/interaction, and the interface
between language processing and the valence/affect system (see the project
website for examples of both).

General information. The Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics is a
world-leading institute for language research, with scholars addressing the
puzzles of language and communication at levels ranging from culture and
sociality to brain and DNA. We offer a very inspiring research environment,
as well as access to state of the art research and neuroimaging facilities,
including MRI at 1.5, 3 and 7 Tesla, a whole-head MEG system, three ERP
labs, a TMS lab, a Virtual Reality Lab, and multiple behavioural labs. We
have strong ties with the Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging as well
as, via the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, with
other cognitive science institutes on the Nijmegen campus (DCC, DCN).
Information on both projects can be found at:

http://www.mpi.nl/institute/research-groups/language-production-group

The positions are available immediately, and have a term of appointment of 2 or
3 years.

Please submit your application before September 21, 2009, together with a
curriculum vitae, a list of publications, examples of published work, the
names of two referees who would be willing to write letters of
recommendation, and a cover letter describing research interests. For
further information about the positions, contact Peter Hagoort.

Send applications, preferably by email, to Ina Grevel (secretary to Prof.
Peter Hagoort) at the contact information listed below.

Application Deadline: 21-Sep-2009
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Ina Grevel
	PO Box 310