21.4844, FYI: Free Journal Access: Logica Universalis

Thu Dec 2 17:06:24 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4844. Thu Dec 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4844, FYI: Free Journal Access: Logica Universalis

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Dec-2010
From: Jean-Yves Beziau [universal.logic at ufc.br]
Subject: Free Journal Access: Logica Universalis

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:05:26
From: Jean-Yves Beziau [universal.logic at ufc.br]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4844.html&submissionid=3793735&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Free access to all papers published in Logica Universalis is avalaible up
to December 31st at:

http://www.springer.com/birkhauser/mathematics/journal/11787

The latest issue of the journal is on the topic ''Is logic universal?'' The
authors have tried to answer the following questions:

1. Do all human beings have the same capacity of reasoning? Do men, women,
children, Papuans, yuppies, reason in the same way?
2. Does reasoning evolve? Did human beings reason in the same way two
centuries ago? In the future will human beings reason in the same way? Are
computers changing our way of reasoning? Is a mathematical proof
independent of time and culture?
3. Do we reason in different ways depending on the situation? Do we use the
same logic for everyday life, in physics, and in questions to do with the
economy?
4. Do the different systems of logic reflect the diversity of reasoning?
5. Is there any absolute true way of reasoning?

You can freely download all the papers:

Preface: Is Logic Universal?
Jean-Yves Beziau
>From the issue entitled ''Is Logic Universal?''
http://www.springerlink.com/content/dv2q525590475157/

Human Rationality Challenges Universal Logic
Brian R. Gaines
http://www.springerlink.com/content/y7400543luq15pr8/

Logic and Natural Selection
Jaroslav Peregrin
http://www.springerlink.com/content/4673765064677577/

The Place of Logic in Reasoning
Daniel Kayser
http://www.springerlink.com/content/q3852284771m3521/

Is Logic Necessary?
Gregory McColm
http://www.springerlink.com/content/38n0560670460l5t/

In the near future there will be special issues of Logica Universalis on
the following topics:
- Logic diagrams
- Multimodal logics
- Categorical logics
- Hexagon of opposition

Subscription to the print version (hard copy) of the journal is available
at a very good price for individuals (38 euros per year including postage
and handling).

Jean-Yves Beziau
Editor-in-Chief
Logica Universalis