21.640, FYI: Update: Closure of Phonetics and CompLing in Bonn

Mon Feb 8 02:53:45 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-640. Sun Feb 07 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.640, FYI: Update: Closure of Phonetics and CompLing in Bonn

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Feb-2010
From: Bernd Moebius < moebius at ifk.uni-bonn.de >

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:51:29
From: Bernd Moebius [moebius at ifk.uni-bonn.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-640.html&submissionid=2609158&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear Colleagues,

Last August we notified the language and speech community about the
intention of The University of Bonn to close down the division of
Language and Speech, formerly known as the 'Institut für
Kommunikationsforschung und Phonetik'. The division comprises the
programs in Phonetics, Computational Linguistics and Theoretical
Linguistics.

We wish to thank the scientific community for the support and
solidarity we have received and for the large number of letters and
email messages sent to the university administration. Your efforts
have been greatly appreciated.

In the end, the Faculty of Humanities, the dean's office and the
rector's office of the University of Bonn did indeed decide to close
the division of Language and Speech. We have been assured that this
decision is not based on the academic performance of our division but
brought about by a combination of financial and legal issues and a
re-orientation of the Faculty in the area of linguistics, which left
no room for a program in phonetics, computational linguistics, and
formal linguistics.

The courses of study will continue until all students currently
enrolled in our programs have graduated but no new students will be
admitted. The members of faculty of our division have been asked by
the dean's office to stay on during the termination period, which is
expected to be approximately four years. Realistically, though,
members of our group will soon start exploring other opportunities.

For further information on the division of Language and Speech please
see http://www.sk.uni-bonn.de/.

With our best regards,

Denis Arnold, Berthold Crysmann, Christine de Bond, Mats Exter,
Wolfgang Hess, Winfried Lenders, Bernd Möbius, Donata Moers, Barbara
Samlowski, Christopher Sappok, Ulrich Schade, Charlotte Wollermann,
Lukasz Wolski