22.3314, Disc: Re: Prepositions: 'In' versus 'At'

Sun Aug 21 16:26:12 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3314. Sun Aug 21 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3314, Disc: Re: Prepositions: 'In' versus 'At'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Aug-2011
From: Elizabeth Riddle [emriddle at bsu.edu]
Subject: Re: Prepositions: 'In' versus 'At'

Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 12:23:59
From: Elizabeth Riddle [emriddle at bsu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3314.html&submissionid=4529861&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

An excellent resource for teaching prepositions to English language learners is
Seth Lindstromberg's 'English Prepositions Explained', 2010 (Revised ed.),
published by John Benjamins.  It draws on work in metaphor, especially as
developed in Lakoff and Johnson's Metaphors We Live By and Lakoff's Women, Fire
and Dangerous Things... It is very helpful in explaining both prototypical and
other meanings, including how particles/prepositions contribute to the meanings
of phrasal/prepositional verbs.

                     Pragmatics
                     Semantics