22.5131, Jobs: Any Field of Linguistics: 4 PhD Students, Leiden University

Tue Dec 20 17:01:17 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-5131. Tue Dec 20 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.5131, Jobs: Any Field of Linguistics: 4 PhD Students, Leiden University

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 20-Dec-2011
From:  LUCL [lucl at hum.leidenuniv.nl]
Subject: Any Field of Linguistics: 4 PhD Students, Leiden University, Netherlands

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:00:14
From:  LUCL [lucl at hum.leidenuniv.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-5131.html&submissionid=4537952&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Leiden University
Department: LUCL
Job Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.hum.leiden.edu/lucl/
Job Rank: PhD Student

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Any Field of Linguistics

The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics, the institute of linguistics at
the Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University, has been awarded a
Graduate Programme grant by NWO
(http://www.nwo.nl/nwohome.nsf/pages/NWOP_8L8FAV_Eng) for:

4 PhD Students (4 years, 38 hrs a week or 5 years 30.4 hrs a week)
Vacaturenummer: 11-267

Research at LUCL:
Leiden University has a longstanding tradition in research in the world's
languages and features unique linguistic expertise. LUCL combines
current theoretical insights and modern experimental methods in its
research profile area 'Language Diversity in the World'. For more
information, see: http://www.research.leiden.edu/research-profiles/language-diversity/.

The candidate is supposed to carry out the following tasks:
-  conducting original research on a relevant topic;
-  writing a PhD thesis;
-  submitting research results for publication in peer- reviewed academic
journals;
-  presenting papers at (international) conferences;
-  some teaching in the second and third year of the appointment;
-  organizing and participating in reading and discussions groups,
seminars, workshops within LUCL.

The candidate should have:
-  a Master or equivalent degree in a relevant field (completion of the MA
thesis before the program starts);
-  a curious, enterprising, and creative mind and excellent analytical skills,
evidence of which should emerge from the MA thesis;
-  good writing skills;
-  a very good and demonstrable command of English;
-  ability to work both independently and as part of a team.

We offer:
The employment will be for a period of four years (first a contract of 18
months with an extension of 30 months after positive evaluation of
capabilities and compatibility) and must lead to the completion of a PhD
thesis. Appointment will be under the terms of the CAO (collective labour
agreement) of the Dutch Universities. The gross monthly salary is set on
EUR 2.042,00 in the first year up to EUR 2.612,00 gross per month in year
four. An appointment with Leiden University includes a pension build-up
and facilitates other benefits such as an annual holiday premium of 8%
and an end-of-year premium of 8,3%. Candidates from outside the
Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.

All our PhD students are embedded in the 'Leiden University Graduate
School of Linguistics'. In addition to a thorough research training, our
graduate school offers a variety of courses aimed at training of
professional and personal skills. In addition, advanced courses to deepen
scientific knowledge are offered by the national research school.

Application Deadline: 01-Mar-2012

Web Address for Applications: http://vacatures.leidenuniv.nl/wetenschappelijk/11-267.html
Contact Information
	LUCL