22.596, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Graduate Summer Internship, Intelius

Thu Feb 3 20:26:13 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-596. Thu Feb 03 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.596, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Graduate Summer Internship, Intelius

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 26-Jan-2011
From: Metina Lidnin [mlidnin at intelius.com]
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics: Graduate Summer Internship, Intelius, Washington, USA

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:24:04
From: Metina Lidnin [mlidnin at intelius.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-596.html&submissionid=4493277&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Intelius
Department: Data Research Group
Job Location: Washington, USA
Web Address: http://intelius.com/corp
Job Rank: Graduate Summer Internship in People Search Technologies

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Data Research Group at Intelius

The Data Research Group at Intelius is looking for graduate interns to work
on developing its next generation of people search technology. Intelius is
a private company headquartered in the Seattle, WA area, and a leader in
public records and people search. Intelius is currently one of the top 100
commerce sites on the Internet, and has frequently been listed as one of
the fastest growing private companies in the country. We feature a downtown
Bellevue location, close to restaurants, shopping, & entertainment.

The Data Research Group is a team of scientists at Intelius with vast
expertise in Record Linkage, Natural Language Processing, Entity
Resolution, Data Deduplication, Machine Learning and Information Retrieval.
Team members have published papers in top research conferences, as well as
organized and sponsored recent workshops, such as the recent Web People
Search 3 Evaluation and the ACM WSDM-2011 Workshop on Search and Data Mining.

The project for summer 2011 will explore developing intelligent strategies
for problems interfacing people search and data record linkage using
various sources of data, such as public social network profiles. This is
likely to be innovative work, and we expect the summer internship to lead
to both product impact and a research paper in a top conference. Mentors
will include Dr. Vitor R. Carvalho and Dr. Andrew Borthwick. The internship
will be at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA, and will offer a competitive
salary.

Required Skills:
-Graduate student working on a Ph.D. in computer science, computational
linguistics, or related field
-Experience in people search not required
-Familiarity with machine learning modeling and evaluation paradigms
-Strong hands-on skills in Java and/or Python
-Self-motivated, creative, and independent researching skills

Desired Skills:
-Thesis focus on record linkage, information extraction, or coreference a plus
-Experience with Hadoop
-Experience with Mechanical Turk
-Familiarity with the entity resolution literature
-Experience with related technologies such as relation extraction,
clustering algorithms, knowledge acquisition, and metrics for measuring
entity resolution accuracy

Please send CV and references.

ABOUT INTELIUS
Intelius is a leading information commerce company providing businesses and
consumers with information to empower the decision-making process for peace
of mind and security. To date, Intelius has gained more than ten million
unique customers who use Intelius's information to reconnect and protect
their loved ones, businesses and assets. Intelius's services include
background checks, people search services, comprehensive employment
screening services and an award-winning identity theft prevention product,
IDWatch. Intelius is one of the top 100 most trafficked sites on the
Internet, according to comScore/Media Metrix. For more about Intelius
Screening Solutions products and services, visit http://talentwise.com. For
more about Intelius's business, news and policies, please visit the company
website as listed above.

Application Deadline: 26-Mar-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA6/ats/careers/jobSearch.jsp?org=INTELIUSCORP&cws=1
Contact Information: