22.60, Jobs: English & Comp Ling, Text/Corpus Ling: Post Doc, RWTH Aachen U

Wed Jan 5 19:00:08 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-60. Wed Jan 05 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.60, Jobs: English & Comp Ling, Text/Corpus Ling: Post Doc, RWTH Aachen U

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks <erica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 26-Dec-2010
From: Stella Neumann [stella.neumann at ifaar.rwth-aachen.de]
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics: Post Doc, RWTH Aachen University, Germany

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 13:56:29
From: Stella Neumann [stella.neumann at ifaar.rwth-aachen.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-60.html&submissionid=3796995&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: RWTH Aachen University
Department: Institute of English, American and Romance Studies
Job Location: Aachen, Germany
Web Address: http://www.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/bdz/
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Institute of English, American and Romance Studies at RWTH Aachen
University invites applications for a two year full-time postdoctoral position in
English linguistics with a strong computational focus.

RWTH Aachen University is one of Europe's leading institutions for science
and research and is continuously ranked among Germany's top universities.
It has been awarded funding for all three funding lines of Germany's
Excellence Initiative. Its Institutional Strategy aims at developing the
scientific profile as an integrated, interdisciplinary, and international university
of technology. English linguistics is part of this vibrant environment fostering
interdisciplinary research.

The position is located in the group of Stella Neumann. We are a young and
dynamic team that conducts research in all areas of computer-oriented
English linguistics with an emphasis on functional approaches. Research
topics include English for Specific Purposes, interfaces between regional and
functional variation and multilingual text production. Our corpus-based
research focuses on multi-layer corpus annotation including the annotation of
non-canonical language, i.e. non-native, non-standard language as well as
intermediate versions during text production. In addition, we closely cooperate
with psycholinguists in combined corpus-based and experimental studies.

The new member of the team is expected to conduct research in line with the
group's research topics. Prerequisites are a PhD degree either in English
linguistics or related fields with a proven record of experience in computer-
oriented research or in computational linguistics with a strong focus on
(English) linguistics. We expect a solid background and experience in
advanced corpus-based methods; programming skills are desirable. Since
one of the tasks will be applying for third party funding prior experience in
successful proposal writing is a plus. A good command of English and fair
knowledge of German are mandatory.

The position involves four hours of teaching per term, participation in
administrative duties, and supervision of students.

Salary: according to German scale TV-L system (level 13)
Duration: two years with a possible extension, part-time employment may be
arranged.
Starting date: 01 April 2011

Applications should include a statement of research and teaching interests,
CV, list of publications and copies of academic degree certificates.

RWTH Aachen University has been certified as a 'Family Friendly University'.
RWTH is committed to promoting the careers of women and therefore looks
forward to receiving applications by female candidates. For positions in
organisational units where women are underrepresented, in cases of equal
qualification, ability and professional achievement, preference will be given to
female applicants unless reasons specific to an individual candidate tilt the
balance in his favour. The University positively welcomes applications from
suitably qualified disabled people.

See http://www.anglistik.rwth-aachen.de/index.php?id=134 for more
information or contact Prof. Dr. Stella Neumann at the address provided
below.

Applications by e-mail are questionable from the point of view of data
protection. The applicant is solely responsible for submitting an application by
e-mail. It is recommended that applicants submit their applications by post.

Application Deadline: 21-Jan-2011
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Prof. Dr. Stella Neumann
	RWTH Aachen University
	Institut für Anglistik, Amerikanistik und Romanistik
	Kármánstr. 17-19
	Aachen 52062
	Germany
Email Address for Applications: stella.neumann at ifaar.rwth-aachen.de