22.150, Qs: Gender, Conceptual Blending and Metonymy

Sat Jan 8 22:38:50 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-150. Sat Jan 08 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.150, Qs: Gender, Conceptual Blending and Metonymy

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Jan-2011
From: Grace Diabah [esifosua at gmail.com]
Subject: Gender, Conceptual Blending and Metonymy

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 17:35:13
From: Grace Diabah [esifosua at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-150.html&submissionid=3797595&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any references on gender and
conceptual blending and/or metonymy theories. I am working on the
construction of gender identities through metaphors, blends and
metonymies. I have had a lot of references for gender and metaphors but
not blends and metonymies. I would be greatful if members of the list can
suggest anything.

I am actually using the information for my PhD thesis. Below I provide the
list of references for the gender and metaphor research I have used below:

Hegstrom, J. L. and McCarl-Nielsen, J. (2002) Gender and Metaphor:
Descriptions of Familiar Persons. Discourse Processes 33(3): 219-234.

Hines, C. (1999) Rebaking the Pie: the Woman as DESSERT Metaphor. In M.
Bucholtz, A. C. Laing and L. A. Sutton, "Reinventing Identities: The Gendered
Self in Discourse," 145-162. New York: Oxford University Press.

Hiraga, M. (1991) Metaphors Japanese Women Live By. Working Papers on
Language, Gender and Sexism 1(1): 37-57.

Koller, V. (2004) Metaphor and Gender in Business Media Discourse: a
Critical Cognitive Study, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan

Koller, V and Semino, E. (2009) Metaphor, politics and gender: a case study
from Germany. In K. Ahren (ed.) "Politics, Gender and Conceptual Metaphor".
Basingstoke: Palgrave; pp. 9-35

Luchjenbroers, J. (1998) Animals, Embryos, Thinkers and Doers: Metaphor and
Gender Representation in Hong Kong English. Australian Review of Applied
Linguistics 21(2): 105-122.

Nilsen, A. P. (1996). Of Ladybugs and Billygoats: What Animal Species Names
tell about Human Perceptions of Gender. Metaphor and Symbolic Activity,
11(4): 257-271

Semino, E. (2008). Metaphor in Discourse. Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press.

Semino and Koller (2009) Metaphor, politics and gender: A case study
from Italy. In K. Ahrens (ed.) Politics, Gender and Conceptual Metaphors,
36-61. Basingstoke: Palgrave.

I would still appreciate it if people still have other sources for gender
and metaphors that I haven't used but which may be relevant to me. But, I
am primarily looking for sources on gender identities through blends and
metonymies and would greatly appreciate any references on these topics.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Sociolinguistics