22.2723, Jobs: Text/Corpus Linguistics: Information Retrieval Researcher, H5

Fri Jul 1 15:40:29 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2723. Fri Jul 01 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2723, Jobs: Text/Corpus Linguistics: Information Retrieval Researcher, H5

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 30-Jun-2011
From: Katie Romweber [kromweber at h5.com]
Subject: Discourse Analysis; Semantics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Information Retrieval Researcher, H5, CA, USA

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:38:19
From: Katie Romweber [kromweber at h5.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2723.html&submissionid=4525042&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: H5
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.h5.com
Job Rank: Information Retrieval Researcher

Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis; Semantics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

H5's Professional Services Group is looking to add Information Retrieval
Researchers to our cross-functional project teams. The core
responsibilities of the Information Retrieval Researcher include
self-directed research, documentation and presentation of research results,
and data analysis.

Responsibilities:
-  Rapidly develop an understanding of new subject matter related to
complex litigation via independent research and team interaction
-  Construct strategic search queries in large corpora of electronic data
to locate targeted subject matter
-  Creatively solve information retrieval challenges using proven
methodologies and self-generated ideas
-  Synthesize large amounts of information from a variety of sources (case
materials, client direction and feedback, internet sources)
-  Formulate and test hypotheses in a coherent and organized fashion within
large corpora of electronic data
-  Present research results to a project team, discern crucial information
from less important details, and accurately depict data trends and
inconsistencies
-  Work in a fast-paced environment to meet client deadlines both
collaboratively and autonomously
-  Undertake and successfully conclude projects with minimal supervision
while providing updates and progress reports to the project team

Competencies:
-  Ability to approach research conceptually and creatively
-  Ability to synthesize information effectively and formally document
/report findings
-  Investigatory skills
-  Superior oral and written communication skills
-  Aptitude for learning new technologies and processes
-  Sharp eye for detail and a practiced sense of order and organization
-  Ability to meet deadlines while balancing competing priorities
-  Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively to a team effort
-  Comfort working in a fast-paced environment
-  Solid competency in a PC/Windows environment using Microsoft Office
(Word, Excel, and Outlook)

Qualifications:
-  Experience with research, data analysis, text analysis, linguistic analysis
-  Knowledge or experience with the US legal system
-  2+ years experience in a professional/ business environment
-  Experience with Concordance and similar legal search platforms a plus
-  BA or BS (MA, MS, JD, LLM, or MLS a plus)

This is a temporary/contract assignment position.

H5 serves the needs of Fortune 500 corporate legal departments and leading
law firms with expert information retrieval and risk management services to
support our clients' requirements for large-scale litigation, records
management, and regulatory compliance. H5's "hybrid" approach to document
review combines patented technology and expert professional services to
create a fully integrated system that is unparalleled in performance, as
proven in independent, benchmarked studies. Using the H5 system, our
clients have demonstrably reduced (by 50 percent or more) the risk, cost,
and time-to-completion traditionally associated with large-scale document
review.  For more information, visit http://www.h5.com.

Application Deadline: 30-Jul-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://www.h5.com/careers/openings.html
Contact Information: