22.4361, FYI: Book Chapter Call: Managing Trust in Discourse

Thu Nov 3 18:52:37 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4361. Thu Nov 03 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4361, FYI: Book Chapter Call: Managing Trust in Discourse

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Nov-2011
From: Katja Pelsmaekers [katja.pelsmaekers at ua.ac.be]
Subject: Book Chapter Call: Managing Trust in Discourse

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:52:03
From: Katja Pelsmaekers [katja.pelsmaekers at ua.ac.be]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4361.html&submissionid=4535247&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Establishing and fostering relationships of trust has never been more
important, and more challenging, for organizations and institutions.
Greater internationalization and organizational complexity, the drive for
efficiency, communication and collaboration across linguistic and
cultural barriers, the diversity of potential communication channels, the
demand for more instantaneous responses, all these have led
organizations to rethink their (internal and external) communication
strategies. However, it is not clear how the resulting streamlined,
standardized and sometimes impersonal forms of communication (in-
house publications, standard emails, and formal structures of
interaction with employees, clients and other stakeholders) relate to
trust. In social psychology, trust has been analysed as a cognitive,
social and affective condition in which the trustor believes the trustee
will be able and willing to care for the trustor's interests. The dispersion
of inherent responsibility for what is communicated, or a perceived lack
of authenticity or spontaneity may in fact jeopardize trust. Moreover,
what we might call the 'trust factor' is not restricted to communication
generated on behalf of or to the organization; interpersonal
communication within organizations is also commonly predicated on
relationships of (un)reliability, (in)authenticity and (un)'trustworthiness'.

After an inspiring workshop on trust and discourse
(http://www.ua.ac.be/DiO) we are putting together a quality volume of
papers that addresses the questions raised at the workshop in a
coherent fashion. Presently we are in the process of writing up a firm
book proposal for a peer-reviewed volume.

The c. 7,000-word chapters that we are envisaging should be data-
driven and address aspects of how "doing trust" or "being trustworthy"
relates to/is oriented to in situated discursive and communicative
practices in organizational or institutional contexts.

In a first move, we are collecting statements of intent; if you want to
join in, we will then be looking forward to extended abstracts (2-3
pages) clearly indicating
-how your chapter fits into such an overall volume
-what its theoretical and analytical orientations are
-some details of data and methodology
-the chapter's main claims vis-à-vis relevant literature

We will work with the following timeline:

Your statement of intent: 15 November 2011
Submission of extended min. 2-page abstract:15 December 2011
Submission of draft chapter: 1 March 2012
Editorial Review: 15 April 2012
Submission of revised chapter & submission to publisher for external
review: 15 June 2012
Feedback from publisher and resubmission of final manuscript:
Summer-Autumn 2012

We would appreciate contributions that make fine-grained analyses of
real-life data to address this general question in more specific ways
such as:
-studies that empirically address the question of 'trust' in organizational
discourse
-process/product studies of ways in which mediated communication in
specific organizations tries to generate trustworthiness and reliability
-studies of how communication is received/understood/evaluated as
trustworthy, reliable (or untrustworthy and unreliable) and why
-analyses of the role of language(s), culture and/or discourse
expectations in establishing and maintaining trust relationships in
organizational settings.

Organizational contexts such as health care, social services,
education, business, law, politics and journalism are relevant.

(Applied)Linguists working in this area are kindly invited to contact
katja.pelsmaekers at ua.ac.be by 15 November stating their interest in
contributing.

                     Discourse Analysis
                     Pragmatics