22.3938, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Scientist: Alelo TLT, LLC

Sat Oct 8 18:33:22 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3938. Sat Oct 08 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3938, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Scientist: Alelo TLT, LLC

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Oct-2011
From: Kevin Perry [kperry at alelo.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Scientist: Alelo TLT, LLC, CA, USA

Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:31:42
From: Kevin Perry [kperry at alelo.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3938.html&submissionid=4533702&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Alelo TLT, LLC
Department: Science
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://Alelo.com
Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Alelo develops interactive computer-based products for learning foreign
languages and intercultural skills. Our mission is to help people overcome
communication barriers due to language and cultural differences. Learners
practice their communicative skills in simulated conversations with animated
characters, using spoken language and patented multimodal communication
technologies. Courses are delivered as multi-player games, via the Web, and
on mobile devices. Please visit us at our website address linked above.

We are recruiting a Speech Technologist to take full-time responsibility for our
Automatic Speech Recognition technology.

Your responsibilities will be:
-  Improve and maintain Alelo's ASR runtime (outward-facing ASR
capabilities)
-  Develop the runtime (Java applet, C code, and Julius integration)
-  Maintain browser compatibility
-  Implement and maintain build systems for these
-  Develop methods for analyzing learner speech fluency and accuracy
-  Implement improved exposure of the underlying ASR capability to our
products (e.g. to other runtimes)
-  Maintain and develop the ASR pipeline (inward-facing ASR capabilities)
-  Create Acoustic models (manage/collect data, train, benchmark, augment)
-  Manage and improve the acoustic and language modeling pipelines
-  Maintain and apply current knowledge of the state of the art in ASR
approaches

Your experience must be:
-  MSc or higher in Computer Science or related field
-  3+ years experience in industry software development
--OR--
-  BSc or higher in Computer Science or related field with
5+ years experience in industry software development

You must have:
-  Competence with UNIX OS and scripting languages: bash/tcsh/perl/python
-  Excellent knowledge of C/C++
-  Excellent knowledge of ASR algorithms and at least one ASR toolkit (e.g.
Julius, Sphinx, Nuance)
-  Strong computer science fundamentals and software engineering best
practices
-  Strong organization and communication skills

You should have:
-  Sufficient expertise and maturity to take a leadership role on speech
technology problems
-  Ability to set priorities and communicate them to others, within and across
teams
-  Ability to communicate with customers and Alelo-external collaborators
-  Ability to work toward well-engineered solutions, not just proof-of-concept
prototypes
-  Motivation to work on the kinds of interesting and challenging problems that
Alelo takes on
-  Interest in language learning and/or underresourced languages is a definite
plus

Details:
This is a full time position. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that
includes health/dental insurance, 401k, vacation time, sick time, and paid
holidays.

Please visit the application URL below to apply. No phone calls or recruiters
please.

Web Address for Applications: http://www.applicantstack.com/client/alelo/x/openings
Contact Information:
	Exec Director of Production Kevin Perry