22.3567, FYI: Web Experiment Software for Audio Recording

Mon Sep 12 19:16:19 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3567. Mon Sep 12 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3567, FYI: Web Experiment Software for Audio Recording

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Sep-2011
From: Tally Callahan [tally.callahan at gmail.com]
Subject: Web Experiment Software for Audio Recording

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:15:40
From: Tally Callahan [tally.callahan at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3567.html&submissionid=4531681&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Hi all,

I'm working on a project on prosody and sentence embedding as an
R.A. for Janet Fodor. We'd like to collect data via web experiment
surveying, both for the sake of possibly getting more input and trying
something new. We've run into a bit of a snag, however. It's important
for our data collection that we are able to receive audio recording input
from our participants. The sound quality is not immensely important, we
just want to be able to check where there are breaks in the prosody
while the participants are reading these very long, difficult, embedded
sentences out loud.

Essentially, we need some web experimental surveying software that
presents participants with written sentences, then allows them read the
sentences out loud into their microphone for data collection. Then they
will be asked to score the grammaticality of the sentence.

We've looked into WebExp, and it doesn't appear that this is a
supported function (though please let us know if we're wrong). Does
anyone know of any surveying software that would allow us to do what
we want?

Thanks!
-Tally

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics