23.3358, Qs: Looking for thorough list of English verbs

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 9 19:57:03 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3358. Thu Aug 09 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3358, Qs: Looking for thorough list of English verbs

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Seng Lee <seng at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 15:56:42
From: Sebastien Plante [n.sebastien.plante at gmail.com]
Subject: Looking for thorough list of English verbs

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3358.html&submissionid=4551304&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I'm doing some computational linguistics research and I'm looking for a
digital copy of as many English verbs as possible.  The golden trophy of
what I would want are all of the verbs from Levin '93, and labelled
according to which groups they belong to.  Barring that, just a list of the
verbs and I'll just figure things out with my own eyeballs afterwards.

As a bonus, I would also like to find a list of all the deverbal nouns of
English - regular or otherwise.  So not just the regular ones like jump/a
jump, but also the irregular ones like sit/a seat or eat/a meal.  They
don't necessarily have to be labelled according to which lexical verb they
correspond to, though that would certainly be a bonus.

I've tried looking in all sorts of places, but most search Engines just
churn out hundreds of verb lists for English instructors (of the ''500 most
common verbs!'' variety).  If anybody can give me a hint on any resource
which can provide for me some kind of a thorough list of the above, then I
would greatly appreciate it.

Have a nice day,
- Sebastien

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Lexicography
                     Morphology

Subject Language(s): English (eng)