23.536, Jobs: German; Computational Linguistics: Senior Developer, SAP Labs

Thu Feb 2 01:28:02 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-536. Wed Feb 01 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.536, Jobs: German; Computational Linguistics: Senior Developer, SAP Labs

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 01-Feb-2012
From: Jackie Hall [jackie.hall at sap.com]
Subject: German; Computational Linguistics: Senior Developer, SAP Labs, MA, USA

Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:25:15
From: Jackie Hall [jackie.hall at sap.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-536.html&submissionid=4539996&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: SAP Labs
Department: TIP BAT EIM Information Quality and Insight
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.sap.com
Job Rank: Senior Developer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Named Entity Extraction

Required Language(s): German (deu)

Position Title:  Computational Linguist
Location:  Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Work Area:  Software - Design and Development
Expected Travel:  0%
Career Status:  Professional
Employment Type:  Regular Full-Time

Please forward your resume to Jackie Hall at the application email
address below.

Purpose and Objectives:
The Text Analysis team at SAP focuses on the development of Natural
Language Processing (NLP) Information Extraction technologies. The
team combines the talents of computational linguists and skilled software
engineers to deliver best-of-breed Text Analysis functionality in all major
languages. This groundbreaking technology includes a comprehensive
set of advanced text analysis tools such as search, categorization, and
entity extraction that is being used in SAP applications ranging from
business intelligence to semantic search.

Expectations and Tasks:
-  Assumes ownership of one or more language modules in our NLP
products
-  Creates, maintains and augments machine-readable dictionaries,
grammar rules and parsing algorithms
-  Develops and maintains tools for the automation and support of
linguistic tasks
-  Enhances the accuracy of our core technologies
-  Optimizes the performance of core engines to achieve breakthrough
results
-  Researches and implements new functionality

Education and Qualifications/Skills and Competencies:
-  Minimum of B.A. in Computational Linguistics or equivalent and 2+
years of experience in the NLP industry, or M.A. in Computational
Linguistics or equivalent
-  Native or near-native knowledge of German and/or other major world
languages in addition to English
-  Strong background in syntax and morphology
-  Proficiency in at least one data manipulation language (Perl or Python
preferred)
-  Understanding of statistical approaches to NLP (e.g., Bayesian
algorithms, HMMs, SVMs, supervised or unsupervised learning)
-  Familiarity with UNIX® environments

Work Experience:
-  Experience with regex languages and finite state automata for NLP
applications
-  Experience developing named entity recognition functionality or in-depth
knowledge of other text-based linguistic applications
-  Experience working in a production-oriented development environment
-  Agile/SCRUM development processes

Email Address for Applications: jackie.hall at sap.com
Contact Information:
	Jackie Hall