23.584, Jobs: Spanish; CHAT/CLAN; Transcription: Consultant, Bangor University

Fri Feb 3 21:03:43 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-584. Fri Feb 03 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.584, Jobs: Spanish; CHAT/CLAN; Transcription: Consultant, Bangor University

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 03-Feb-2012
From: Margaret Deuchar [m.deuchar at bangor.ac.uk]

Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 16:02:01
From: Margaret Deuchar [m.deuchar at bangor.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-584.html&submissionid=4540118&topicid=7&msgnumber=1
 University or Organization: Bangor University
Department: ESRC Centre for Research on Bilingualism
Job Location:  ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://www.bilingualism.bangor.ac.uk
Job Rank: Consultant

Specialty Areas: CHAT/CLAN; Transcription

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

Help required from Spanish-speaking users of CHAT/CLAN. This is a request
for short-term help from competent users of CLAN/CHAT in completing a
transcription project.

At the ESRC Centre for Research on Bilingualism in Bangor, U.K. we are
currently doing final pre-publication work on a Welsh-Spanish corpus of
spoken conversations from Patagonia and an English-Spanish corpus from
Miami. Both will be available under a free license (the GPL).

Some of our team who were working on the corpora have moved on in the
last couple of months to other jobs, so there are a few areas where external
input would help us to achieve our target publication dates in the next couple
of months. The transcription of the corpora follows the conventions of the well-
known CHAT/CLAN system (http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/clan), and the
transcriptions will be presented with the spoken text, a part-of-speech layer,
and an English translation of non-English text.

We are seeking input from anyone who is fluent in Spanish, and who is also
familiar with the CHAT/CLAN system, to help us with checking the accuracy
of some of the Spanish transcriptions. The task would be to listen to the audio
file while following the draft transcription and correcting any errors. Payment
(£14 per hour) would be made in arrears on presentation of an invoice to the
ESRC Centre.

Collaborators will be named in the headers of the published files, and on the
website (http://bangortalk.org.uk/collaborators.php). Applications to include a
CV sent to bilingualism at bangor.ac.uk as soon as possible with a brief
statement regarding candidates' competence in Spanish and their experience
using CHAT and CLAN, plus the names and contact details of two referees.

Application Deadline: 20-Feb-2012

Email Address for Applications: bilingualism at bangor.ac.uk
Contact Information:
	Prof. Margaret Deuchar