23.585, Qs: Applying Corpus Models to Presidential Debate

Sat Feb 4 05:27:15 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-585. Sat Feb 04 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.585, Qs: Applying Corpus Models to Presidential Debate

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Zac Smith <zac at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Feb-2012
From: Enas Qazan [enasqaysabid at yahoo.com]

Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 00:26:37
From: Enas Qazan [enasqaysabid at yahoo.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-585.html&submissionid=4540029&topicid=8&msgnumber=1
 I'm a Masters student analyzing the discourse of the 2008 presidential
debates. My thesis is ''Textual and contextual analysis of presidential
debates.'' I plan to apply four models on  my corpus (those by Halliday
and Hasan, Dresseler and  de Beaugrande, and Sinclair and
Coulthard, for analysing textuality and Van Dijk for analysing
contextuality). The model adopted is to be eclectic. It is heavily based
on Sinclair and Coulthard 1975 but there is an interdisciplinary relation
among the three. Sinclair and Coulthard will be adapted and modified
to be applicable for analysing such kind of discourse. I am curious to
know if there is anything I should be aware of before applying the
models, or if you have any suggestions on how to proceed.

Thank you.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics