23.623, Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics: Asst Prof, Northern Arizona U

Mon Feb 6 23:09:24 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-623. Mon Feb 06 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.623, Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics: Asst Prof, Northern Arizona U

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 06-Feb-2012
From: Randi Reppen [Randi.Reppen at nau.edu]
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Northern Arizona University, AZ, USA

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:08:07
From: Randi Reppen [Randi.Reppen at nau.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-623.html&submissionid=4540310&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Northern Arizona University
Department: English
Job Location: Arizona, USA
Web Address: http://nau.edu/cal/english/
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The applied linguistics faculty in the English Department at Northern
Arizona University invite applications for a tenure-track assistant professor
beginning in August 2012. We seek a colleague whose primary teaching
and research interests are in any area of applied linguistics, including
assessment, bilingualism, corpus linguistics, discourse, experimental
psycholinguistics, language and technology, L2 phonology, L2 pedagogy
research, pragmatics, quantitative or mixed methods, second language
acquisition, and sociolinguistics. Responsibilities include teaching
courses in the MA-TESL program, the applied linguistics doctoral
program, and the English undergraduate program. With regard to teaching,
responsibilities include teaching up to 9 hours per semester, with
reassigned time based on dissertation committee work and College
policies. Responsibilities also include active research; student advising
and mentoring; doctoral committee work; and department, college,
university, and professional service.

Minimum Qualifications:
-  Doctorate in applied linguistics or related field, in hand at time of
appointment
-  Primary research interests in Applied Linguistics

Preferred Qualifications:
-  Refereed publications in Applied Linguistics
-  Evidence of empirical research agenda
-  Evidence of professional activity in core areas of TESL/Applied
Linguistics
-  Demonstration of ability to teach graduate and undergraduate courses in
TESL/applied linguistics
-  Experience mentoring graduate and undergraduate students
-  Experience working and interacting with diverse populations
-  Experience teaching ESL/EFL

General Information:
Northern Arizona University's applied linguistics faculty are active
scholars, teachers and mentors, and professionals. Our group focuses on
the learning and teaching of English as a second/foreign language and
the description of spoken/written English. We engage in empirical and
theoretical inquiry of language and language pedagogy, from both
linguistic and cognitive orientations. Our primary teaching mission is to
serve students in two graduate programs: MA-TESL and PhD in Applied
Linguistics. We also have a Program in Intensive English that serves the
English learning needs of NAU international students and provides
teaching and research opportunities for faculty and graduate students. We
offer undergraduate courses for BA English and BS Ed English
majors/minors, and Liberal Studies' requirements.
Visit us at http://www.cal.nau.edu/english/tesl_default.asp

Application Procedure:
Review of applications begins March 1, 2012. This position will be open
until filled or closed. Submit the following materials to the application
address below:
1.  Letter of interest & CV
2.  List of courses taught (titles, levels, and locations)
3.  Sample publications
4.  Complete set of graduate school transcripts
5.  Three reference letters addressing qualifications for the position, sent
directly to the search committee

Salary:
Competitive

Application Deadline: 01-Mar-2012
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Professor Randi Reppen
	Applied Linguistics Search Committee Chair
	PO Box 6032, Liberal Arts Building
	Northern Arizona University
	Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6032
	USA