23.4368, FYI: Call for Papers: Endangered Metaphors Volume II

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 18 15:13:32 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4368. Thu Oct 18 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4368, FYI: Call for Papers: Endangered Metaphors Volume II

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:13:25
From: Anna Idström [anna.e.idstrom at helsinki.fi]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4368.html&submissionid=4555951&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Metaphors in endangered languages became a focus of increasing international academic attention since John Benjamins published the volume "Endangered Metaphors" (eds. Anna Idström & Elisabeth Piirainen, in co-operation with Tiber Falzett) in March 2012. [http://benjamins.com/catalog/clscc.2]. This volume consists of 15 articles on endangered languages spoken in Papua New Guinea, India, Peru, Alaska, Ghana, Finland, etc. These articles provide priceless original data and a wealth of information about linguistic and conceptual metaphors which are in danger of vanishing without a trace if languages die or significantly change under pressure of more powerful majority languages.

Now it is time to continue work. Therefore we call for papers to another book:

"Endangered Metaphors Volume II - Vanishing Images, Changing Conceptualizations".

We hope to find authors who have competence in preparing an article about an endangered language, preferably an indigenous language spoken outside of Europe. The book will concentrate on two themes: the rich imagery manifested in idioms (we hope to receive papers on indigenous languages whose idioms are not yet documented comprehensively to promote their documentation), and conceptual differences between a minority language and a majority language. Concerning the latter topic we hope to receive papers which compare conceptual metaphors of an endangered language with those of the language that threatens its existence.

If you are interested in contributing to the volume, please send an abstract of your paper to Dr. Anna Idström, anna.e.idstrom AT helsinki.fi, by the end of November 2012.

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                     Semantics

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/