23.3902, Calls: Arabic, General Linguistics/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 19 14:53:38 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3902. Wed Sep 19 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3902, Calls: Arabic, General Linguistics/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:52:40
From: Mike Turner [jiljadidconf at gmail.com]
Subject: 3rd Annual Jil Jadid Graduate Student Conference in Arabic Studies

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3902.html&submissionid=4553761&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 3rd Annual Jil Jadid Graduate Student Conference in Arabic Studies

Date: 21-Feb-2013 - 23-Feb-2013
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Contact Person: Mike Turner
Meeting Email: jiljadidconf at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/mes/events/conferences/jiljadid2013

Subject Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)

Call Deadline: 15-Nov-2012

Meeting Description:

The Department of and Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin are pleased to announce that they will host the 3rd Annual Jil Jadid Conference in Arabic Literature and Linguistics, a graduate student conference to be held at the University of Texas at Austin, February 21-23, 2013.

Jil Jadid is a graduate student conference that aims to provide a forum for young scholars spread across a variety of disciplines to come together, share ideas and research, and discuss the future of their respective fields as they move forward in their careers and come to represent the eponymous 'new generation' of scholars doing work on the Arabic-speaking world and its cultures.

The 2013 Jil Jadid Conference is sponsored by the University of Texas at Austin's Department of Middle Eastern Studies, Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Department of Linguistics, Program in Comparative Literature, and the Graduate School.

Call for Papers:

All papers treating topics in Arabic literature (classical and modern) and Arabic linguistics (including applied linguistics) will gladly be considered, in either English or Arabic (we ask that an English summary be prepared for any papers to be presented in Arabic). We especially encourage state of the field papers that provide a focused overview of a specific subfield of Arabic studies and suggest new avenues for research in that area. We also encourage submissions on the following topics:

- Defining Linguistic Prestige: Case Studies from Literature and Linguistics
- Uncharted Pedagogical Ground: Novel Approaches to Arabic Language Teaching
- New Media, New Literary Genres
- The Voices of Arab Youth: Linguistic and Literary Perspectives
- Quantitative Approaches to Traditionally Qualitative Topics
- Between the City and the Countryside: The Role of Geographic Identity
- As It Was Said: Authentic Materials in the Arabic Classroom

Papers that are to be presented at other conferences, such as ALS and ACLA, are welcome, as we hope to provide a forum for students to further develop and refine their research.

Unfortunately, this year we will not be able to accommodate virtual presentations via video-chat. We will instead be providing a live online stream of the conference proceedings that will allow those who are not physically able to attend the conference to follow along and contribute by leaving comments and feedback. It is our aim to reinstate virtual presentations at future iterations of the Jil Jadid conference.

Abstracts:

Applicants may submit abstracts of no more than 400 words, not including references, in PDF format with fonts embedded. Abstracts can be submitted via the following website:

http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/JilJadid2013

The deadline for abstracts is November 15, 2012. Abstracts should not include identifying information; you must, however, indicate the highest degree you have obtained and your current position (e.g. 'M.A., Graduate Student,' 'Ph.D., Assistant Professor,' etc.).

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/