24.75, Support: Sociolinguistics, Aslian, Mon-Khmer, Sino-Tibetan, Austronesian, Timor-Alor-Pantar: PhD Student, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 8 19:55:49 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-75. Tue Jan 08 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.75, Support: Sociolinguistics, Aslian, Mon-Khmer, Sino-Tibetan, Austronesian, Timor-Alor-Pantar: PhD Student, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:55:45
From: Frantisek Kratochvil [fkratochvil at ntu.edu.sg]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-75.html&submissionid=6057918&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: Nanyang Technological University
Department: Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
Web Address: http://linguistics.hss.ntu.edu.sg/Pages/default.aspx

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics
Language Contact, Endangered Lanugages

                      Aslian
                      Austronesian
                      Mon-Khmer
                      Sino-Tibetan
                      Timor-Alor-Pantar

We are offering a single doctoral position (4 years, full grant, starting from
August 1, 2013) in linguistics focusing on the study of multilingualism,
language contact and language shift in historical linguistic contact zones of
Southeast Asia.

The PhD candidate will work within the project entitled 'Exploring the
crossroads of linguistic diversity: language contact in South-East Asia'
funded by the Singaporean Ministry of Education (MOE) Tier 2 Research Grant
Scheme. For a brief description, see
http://linguistics.hss.ntu.edu.sg/AboutLMS/newsevents/Documents/ACTier2news.pd
f.

The project will map three sites of long-standing language contact: northeast
India and northern Thailand, southern peninsular Malaysia, and eastern
Indonesia, where minority communities speak languages belonging to several
distinct language families. All these areas are under pressure of the dominant
national languages such as Hindi, Thai or Malay/Indonesian and are undergoing
language shift. The task of the PhD student will be to investigate the
traditional multilingualism and the construction of multilingual identity in
these areas as well as the current language shift.

Applicants should have a strong undergraduate or Masters degree in linguistics
and be willing to conduct traditional fieldwork. We are looking for candidates
with:

- Previous experience in language description of urban fieldwork (both
methodology and technology),
- Interest in social interaction, identity and multilingualism, and
- (some) knowledge of Hindi, Thai, or Malay/Indonesian.

The successful applicant will join the project team at the Nanyang
Technological University and will be expected to conduct sociolinguistic
fieldwork in the abovementioned areas of Southeast Asia for about a year in
total.

For more information about the project, please contact Dr. Francesco Cavallaro
CFCavallaro at ntu.edu.sg, or Dr. František Kratochvíl fkratochvil at ntu.edu.sg.
See also the project website at http://diha.ntu.edu.sg/projects_diha.html.

For more information about our graduate program, and for detailed information
about the application, please visit
http://www.hss.ntu.edu.sg/ProspectiveStudents/Graduate/Pages/GraduateProgramme
s(ByResearch).aspx

Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2013