24.3789, Calls: Socioling, Anthropological Ling, Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics/Hong Kong

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 26 14:59:46 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3789. Thu Sep 26 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3789, Calls: Socioling, Anthropological Ling, Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics/Hong Kong

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:59:28
From: Katherine Chen [khychen at hku.hk]
Subject: Sociolinguistics of Globalization: (De)centring and (De)standardization

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3789.html&submissionid=20217827&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Sociolinguistics of Globalization: (De)centring and (De)standardization

Date: 03-Jun-2015 - 06-Jun-2015
Location: Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Contact Person: Adam Jaworski
Meeting Email: slxg2015 at hku.hk
Web Site: http://www.english.hku.hk/events/slxg2015

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 30-Sep-2014

Meeting Description:

Following on a decade from the 'Language & Global Communication' conference held at Cardiff University (2005), the sociolinguistics of globalization has emerged and developed as an important, interdisciplinary programme of research. Much excellent work has broadened our understanding of the role of language in the representation, manifestation and spread of the ideologies and material processes of globalization.

We invite a reflection and re-assessment of these issues. Specifically, as suggested in the subtitle of the conference, we propose to focus on issues of spatial and symbolic mobility, change and paradigmatic state of flux that appear to characterize much of contemporary social life. With the social, cultural, political and economic processes continuing to destabilize traditional 'centres' and normativities, we are interested in identifying new, emerging regimes of language, dominant language ideologies, and the resources that are deployed to maintain and to subvert these ideologies.

We continue asking two fundamental and interrelated questions: How are we to continue theorizing language and communication under globalization? How can sociolinguistic theory shed new light on our understanding of globalization?

Plenary Speakers:

Professor Nikolas Coupland
University of Technology, Sydney and Copenhagen University

Professor Christopher Hutton
University of Hong Kong

Professor Michelle Lazar
National University of Singapore

Professor Christopher Stroud
University of the Western Cape

Professor Kathryn Woolard
University of California, San Diego

Call for Papers:

The topics of the papers, colloquia and plenaries include, but are not limited to, the following key themes:

- Communities, networks, groups and individuals
- Prganizations, institutions, collectives
- Time and place
- Hubs, margins and peripheries
- Nodes and trajectories
- Work and leisure
- War and peace
- Heart and mind
- Love and hate
- Thinking beyond the binaries
- The commodification of social life
- Crisis? what crisis?
- Occupy and activism
- Resources
- Superdiversity, class, privilege
- Creativity, reproduction, appropriation
- Legitimacy, censorship, contestation and (self-) reflexivity
- Mobilities, cultures of (im)mobility and displacement
- Singularity and normativity
- Mediations and mediatizations
- Embodied and multisensory communication
- Affect, pleasure, sensuality
- Technologies, environments, futures
- Art and performance
- Rituals and spectacles

We invite abstract submissions for the following types of contributions:

Individual papers: 30 minutes including 10 minutes for discussion

Colloquia: To consist of 4-8 individual papers

Proposals for colloquia should include one abstract outlining the theme and rationale of the colloquium and individual abstracts for all papers to be presented in the colloquium. Colloquia organizers are welcome to post a call for abstracts on the conference website by sending the title and a brief description of the colloquium to the organizers at slxg2015 at hku.hk.

Timescale:

1st call for papers: September 2013
2nd call for papers: February 2014
Submission of abstracts opens: 1 July 2014
Submission of abstracts closes: 30 September 2014
Notification of acceptance: January 2015
Registration opens: January 2015
Conference: 3-6 June 2015

Organizing Committee:

The Conference is organized by The School of English, The University of Hong Kong:

Katherine Chen
Adam Jaworski (Chair)
Agnes Kang
Lisa Lim
Adrian Pablé

Contact:

'The Sociolinguistics of Globalization 2015'
School of English
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road
Hong Kong