26.1889, Historical Linguistics: Editor Erin's Favorite Tree

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 9 03:59:52 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1889. Wed Apr 08 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1889, Historical Linguistics: Editor Erin's Favorite Tree

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 23:57:19
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

One of the first classes I took as a Linguistics major was a class called “Introduction to Indo-European Linguistics,” and in this class, we learned about different ways in which languages change and the reconstruction of
languages. For me, this tree represents so much of what I learned in that class — how languages can divide and change, but that there are things which can make so many languages relatable to one another. As an undergraduate, this was some sort of magic, or a really fun game, seeing how languages could change and then applying what I learned about language change to my language-learning endeavors. (“Well, if this root changed to that in Language
X, it probably changed to this in Language Y!”) How exciting and fascinating it was to have a whole new way of looking at words, seeing the interconnectedness of so many languages.

To learn more about my favorite linguistic tree, please visit: http://blog.linguistlist.org/uncategorized/historical-linguistics-editor-erins-favorite-tree/

If you have found the LINGUIST List helpful over the years, as I have, please consider donating to this year’s Fund Drive. This will help us to continue providing quality services intending to help connect the linguistics community and enrich the general trove of linguistic resources.

All the best,
Erin Arnold
Calls & Conferences Editor at LINGUIST List