26.2101, Qs: Med Interpretation: Languages of Lesser Diffusion

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 20 20:20:46 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2101. Mon Apr 20 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2101, Qs: Med Interpretation: Languages of Lesser Diffusion

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:20:36
From: Debra Pelto [peltod at mskcc.org]

I am attempting to identify collaborative projects or efforts to provide
interpretation during medical encounters for those who speak languages of
lesser diffusion. Languages of lesser diffusion vary depending on geographic
and historical context. They are those that are the least common and that are
spoken by few people and in less established communities. For purposes of this
project, I am primarily interested in collaborations in the United States that
provide medical interpreting for those who speak American indigenous languages
such as Quechua, Nahuatl and other languages of Mexico, K'iche, and languages
spoken by Native Americans. Collaborations in other countries or regions would
also be of interest.

I'm reaching out to these indigenous communities and to clinical providers,
and also hoping that some linguists who work in parallel areas might know of
some sources. Many thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Best wishes,

Debra J. Pelto, MPH, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Immigrant Health & Cancer Disparities Service
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
641 Lexington Avenue, 7th floor
New York, NY 10022
peltod at mskcc.org