26.2161, Featured Linguist: Monica Macaulay

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 23 20:48:35 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2161. Thu Apr 23 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2161, Featured Linguist: Monica Macaulay

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:45:58
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Linguist: Monica Macaulay

 Dear LINGUIST List Readers,

We are pleased to present you our featured linguist Monica Macaulay for Fund Drive 2015.

Please support the LINGUIST List editors and activities with a donation:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

So, you know how most kids want to be firefighters, or doctors, or scientists when they grow up?  When I was a kid I wanted to be a librarian.  Yes, I was the biggest nerd in the world.  It was just that I loved to read and I loved
to organize things, so organizing books sounded really good.  I also played Scrabble with my mom, and we would look words up in her immense “Shorter Oxford English Dictionary,” which we regarded as the authority on all matters
language-related.

When I was 15 we moved to Santiago, Chile.  My mother was thrilled because her children were going to learn to speak a second language.  So, being 15, I decided I wasn’t going to learn it.  Unfortunately, I did, despite my best
efforts.  So I spent about six months hiding it from my parents until it just got too hard to pretend.  We were there for a year and a half.  By the end of our time there my Spanish was so good I could fool people into thinking I was Chilea.  It’s been downhill ever since.

I graduated in Chile from Santiago College – that was my high school – a girl’s school with the motto “for finer womanhood.”  I was 16 and it made perfect sense to me that since I had graduated from high school I was an adult.  So I took off overland with my boyfriend and spent three months traveling through South America.  My parents, of course, were absolutely horrified.  It was quite an adventure and I did live to tell about it.  Then the boyfriend and I moved to Prescott, AZ, where we attended a hippy college for a while.  Next up, San Francisco, where I went to art school.  (Of course.)  We lived on a houseboat in Sausalito.  I finally dumped art school (no talent, just a love of art supplies) and the BF, and moved to Berkeley.

(...)

Read more:

http://blog.linguistlist.org/uncategorized/featured-linguist-monica-macaulay/