26.2212, Calls: Phonology, Sociolinguistics/Ireland

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 27 20:33:26 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2212. Mon Apr 27 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2212, Calls: Phonology, Sociolinguistics/Ireland

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:31:28
From: Stephen Lucek [luceks at tcd.ie]
Subject: Sociolinguistic Summer School 6

Full Title: Sociolinguistic Summer School 6
Short Title: SSS6

Date: 04-Aug-2015 - 07-Aug-2015
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact Person: Organising Committee
Meeting Email: sss6.dublin at gmail.com
Web Site: https://www.tcd.ie/slscs/news-events/SSS6/

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-May-2015

Meeting Description:

The event is an opportunity for MA and PhD students, as well as recent graduates, in any area of sociolinguistics to attend workshops, seminars and lectures with leaders in the field, as well as present their on-going research to peers.

Minimum Education Level: Undergraduate

Applications are sought for Sociolinguistics Summer School 6 (SSS6), to be held from August 4 to 7 at Trinity College Dublin in Ireland.

Each day of the summer school will have a theme based on the research of an invited speaker. The invited speakers will each deliver a plenary lecture in the morning, a practical workshop in the mid-morning period, and chair a panel
of conference presentations delivered by the student delegates in the afternoon.

The following themes and invited speakers are confirmed:

Theme 1: Code-Switching
Professor Li Wei, Birkbeck College London

Theme 2: Corpus Linguistics
Dr. Jeffrey Kallen, Trinity College Dublin

Industry Presentation: Job Prospects for Sociolinguists
TBC, The Microsoft Corporation

Theme 3: Language and Migration
Professor Bettina Migge, University College Dublin

Theme 4: Sociophonetics
Dr. Eleanor Lawson, University of Glasgow

Further details about the summer school will be posted to:

- Our school website: https://www.tcd.ie/slscs/news-events/SSS6/
- Our blog site: https://sss6dublin.wordpress.com/
- Our Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/300075920180947/?fref=ts
- Our Twitter page: https://twitter.com/SSS6Dublin2015
- LINGUIST List: http://www.linguistlist.org/summerschool/getSummerSchool.cfm?submissionid=28725034

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Tuition: 75 EUR

Tuition Explanation: An Early Bird rate of 55 EUR will be offered until May 31. For the remainder of the registration period, the tuition price will be 75 EUR.

Registration: 18-Mar-2015 to 17-Jul-2015

Contact Person:

Organising Committee:
Email: sss6.dublin at gmail.com

Registration Instructions:

Registration will open on March 18 and close on July 17 through our website. The number of spaces is limited, and preference will be given to students who are presenting their research. 300-word abstracts should be emailed to sss6.dublin at gmail.com by 5pm GMT on Tuesday, March 31.

Call for Papers:

We’re pleased to announce the Call for Abstracts for Sociolinguistic Summer School 6. We are extending our call to all areas of Sociolinguistics, for both oral and poster presentations (preference will be given to poster presentations).

The sociolinguistics summer school is the perfect opportunity for postgraduate students to network, showcase some of their original work, as well as attend workshops and lectures by leading experts in the field. Traditionally, each day of the summer school follows a specific ‘theme’ or topic of current relevance to sociolinguistic research, this theme often reflects the research of the invited plenary speaker. We welcome students from any institution who wish to present on these topics, however, we also encourage students to present on other topics related to sociolinguistics.

Abstracts should not exceed the 300-word limit (excluding references).

Font: Times New Roman, size 12.
Title: should clearly indicate your topic of research.
Topic: When submitting your abstract to us, please include your general topic area(s) through use of keywords at the end of the abstract (For instance: sociophonetics, language and gender, code-switching, linguistic landscapes, etc.)

Do not include any images/figures/tables in your abstract submissions.

Once copy of your abstract should include a title; your name; email address; affiliation (if any); and specify if it is intended for an oral or poster presentation. The second copy should be anonymous.