26.1144, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics/ Critical Multilingualism Studies (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 1 03:56:07 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1144. Sat Feb 28 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1144, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics/ Critical Multilingualism Studies (Jrnl)

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 22:56:00
From: Andrea Wolvers [andrea.wolvers at yahoo.de]

Full Title: Critical Multilingualism Studies

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 30-Nov-2015

Special Issue on Language Ideologies and Multilingualism

Guest editors: Anne Storch & Andrea Wolvers

Language ideologies are central to concepts of diversity, and they are as
multivocal and diverse as the (multilingual) communities that refer to them.
Understandings of words, languages, linguistic performances and ways of
speaking have great impact on how we want our linguistic practices to be seen
or perceived. Local ideologies and concepts of language reflect the complex
entanglements between linguistics and coloniality, the notion of standard and
the experience of language as practice, and personal desires and subversive
strategies. This invites linguistic contributions that also focus on
subjectivity micro-perspectives and linguistic biographies. The ways in which
conflicting ideologies and contested concepts of language are negotiated--by
individuals, symbolically, in institutional frameworks, on the community
level, and in linguistic academic discourse etc.--are the focus of our planned
publication. We therefore invite contributions informed by both empirical
research and critical reflections of linguistic theory that will shed more
light on the actual relevance of local language ideologies, especially outside
Eurocentric contexts.

This special issue of Critical Multilingualism Studies will investigate the
language ideologies of speakers, social groups and communities of practice in
a range of contexts focusing on Africa and the Atlantic space. Envisioned
contributions should discuss the history of ideas and identity discourses and
shed light on how language ideologies drive linguistic change and emergent
multilingual practices. By looking at multilingual repertoires as social
practices and by investigating the role of language ideologies in both,
linguistic and linguists' practices with regard to phenomena such as
creolization, standard, writing, and purism, we are hoping to make a
contribution to understanding language as practice, a fluid concept, and
shared experience. Moreover, we intend to demonstrate how Western concepts and
ideologies of standard language, mother tongue, and linguistic identity on the
one hand changed or created languages in Africa, but how on the other hand
''indigenous'' language ideologies continued to play a role, and - in a
sometimes quite subversive way - are part of linguistic practices and concepts
that largely undermine Western ideas about language.

Contributions, preferably of max. 9.000 words, should be submitted by
November, 30
2015 to astorch at uni-koeln.de and andrea.wolvers at yahoo.de

          http://multitree.org/