26.1265, Software: Computational Linguistics: WebAnno 2.1

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 6 20:47:52 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1265. Fri Mar 06 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1265, Software: Computational Linguistics: WebAnno 2.1

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:47:44
From: Richard Eckart de Castilho [eckart at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: WebAnno 2.1

We are pleased to announce the release of WebAnno 2.1 (v2.1.0) a web-based
annotation tool for a wide range of annotations.

Major improvements since WebAnno 2.0

- Annotation UI reaction speed improved
- Annotation UI toolbar stays on screen when scrolling
- Ability to choose format on project export
- Non-admin users can gain privilege to create own projects
- Ability to generate missing users on import
- (Partial) support for various CoNLL formats
- Customizable logo
- Support for DKPro Core Chunk type
- Display warning when running in unsupported browser
- New versioned documentation

Thanks to all our users who have provided us with excellent feedback! You have
been major drivers behind the features that made it into this version of
WebAnno!

Tutorial

Tutorial videos for WebAnno 2 are available on YouTube: http://goo.gl/MrmHNY

Demo

You can test WebAnno 2.1 on our public demo:
https://maggie.lt.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/webanno/ (username: guest /
password: guest).

Download

The new version can be downloaded from Google Code:
http://webanno.googlecode.com/

An in-place upgrade from WebAnno 2.0.x to WebAnno 2.1.0 is possible.

Before any upgrade, please take the usual precautions making backups of your
WebAnno database and home folder. Observe the general upgrade instructions.

Users may have to explicitly ''reload'' WebAnno in the browser once.

WebAnno 2.1.0 now requires Java 7.

License and System requirements

WebAnno is provided as open source software under the
Apache License version 2.

Running WebAnno requires Java version 7 or higher.

A MySQL database and Tomcat server are recommended.

We offer standalone version for testing that requires only
Java 7 or higher and no additional database or server.

WebAnno works best with Chrome and Safari.

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics