26.1508, Featured Linguist: Rachel Nordlinger

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 19 13:54:39 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1508. Thu Mar 19 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1508, Featured Linguist: Rachel Nordlinger

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Damir Cavar <damir at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:54:26
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Linguist: Rachel Nordlinger

Dear subscribers,

we are pleased to present you our featured linguist Rachel Nordlinger for Fund
Drive 2015. Please support the LINGUIST List editors and activities with a
donation:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Rachel Nordlinger

At high school my favourite subject was French. So, when I finished high
school I decided I would do Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of
Melbourne, and major in French. I didn't really know what I would do after
that, but probably I'd "join the diplomatic corps" -- whatever that meant. It
sounded exciting, and if it meant I could keep doing French then that would be
fine. In my second year of Uni, I needed to pick up another subject and found
a subject called 'Linguistics' in the handbook. I could pick it up in second
year, it had no exam, and it even sounded like it would be useful for learning
French, so I enrolled.

That decision changed my life. This was 1988 (I was only 5!), and two young
newcomers had just taken over the linguistics program at Melbourne University
-- Mark Durie and Nick Evans. The classes were small, the teaching was
inspiring, the other students were enthusiastic, and the whole program had a
buzz of excitement around it. I had never come across anything as fascinating,
and I quickly realized that with linguistics I could explore everything that
I'd loved about learning French... but with respect to hundreds of languages,
not just one! Before long I had dropped all my other subjects and was filling
my degree up with as many linguistics subjects as I could.

One of those subjects was 'Language in Aboriginal Australia', a subject taught
by Nick Evans (and, funnily enough, one that I now teach myself having
inherited it when Nick moved to ANU a few years ago, although at the time I
couldn't have imagined that this is how it would pan out). In this subject we
spent a few weeks learning about Bininj Gun-wok, a Gunwinyguan language from
Arnhem land, based on Nick's field notes and recordings. I was fascinated by
the language structure, but even more by the process of discovery: the fun of
being presented with completely unfamiliar language data and having to analyse
it bit by bit in order to reveal the intricacies of the underlying system. Not
to mention the excitement of cracking the code!

Read more:
http://blog.linguistlist.org/?p=2067

Please support The LINGUIST List editors and activities and donate during the
Fund Drive 2015. LINGUIST List really needs your suppport!

Thank you all!