26.1524, Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation: Recipe for a Giant Egg

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 20 15:58:48 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1524. Fri Mar 20 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1524, Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation: Recipe for a Giant Egg

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:57:28
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear Subscribers, Linguists, Language Lovers, and Amateur Chefs,

Our goal at the LINGUIST List is to provide valuable information and services
to our readers. One such spring of knowledge is our culinary typology - the
LINGUIST List Cookbook:

http://linguistlist.org/cookbook/

If you have a recipe for some linguistic linguini, phoneme Phở, minimalist
minestrone, optimal candied dates, or any delicious dish, we’d love to include
it in our Cookbook! We are hoping to expand this year into traditional recipes
written in other languages with their translations into English. Please
contribute to our Cookbook by emailing us at:

funddrive at linguistlist.org

Today, we’re featuring a recipe that can solve two common breakfast problems.
If you’ve ever woken up, eaten one egg, and thought, ‘that wasn’t un œuf’ or
if you’ve ever panicked because you have 30-40 eggs nestled in the
refrigerator and don’t know what to do with them, this is the recipe for you!
Submitted by Thomas Gloning of the Institut für deutsche Sprache und
mittelalterliche Literatur der Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen in both its
original 15th century German and an English translation, we present a recipe
for a Giant Egg:

Ein essen von dreyssig ayeren

Wiltu machen ein essen von dreyssig ayeren oder virtzig zu einem ey nym zwo
sew plosenn daz dy ein cleiner sey den dy ander vnd swern sie gar schon mit
wasser jnwendig vnd nyrn den dy ayer vnd scbel sie schon von ein ander daz
weisz besunder vnd dy totter besunder vnd nyrn denn dy clein plossen vnd rur
dy totteren dutch ein ander vnd geusz sie in dy plassen daz sie vol werd vnd
verpint die denn schon vnd wirffs in ein haffen vnd lasz sie wol sieden daz ez
hert werde vnd schel denn dy plotter ab den dottren vnd nym den dy plassenn
vnd sneid den ein loch dor ein daz der totter dor ein mug gen vnd ne den dy
dotterr in dy plossen schon vnd clopff den daz weisz dutch ein ander vnd nyrn
denn ein trichter vnd stosz in in daz loch vnd geusz denn daz weisz auff dy
totteren hinein daz dy plosz vol werd vnd pint sie denn zu vnd leg sie den in
den haffen vnd losz sie aber sieden so sewd sich daz weisz vmb den tottern vnd
wirt ein ay vnde gib ez hin vnd einen essig dor zu rc.

A dish made from 30 or 40 eggs

In order to make a dish from 30 eggs or 40 in form of one big egg, you must
take two bladders, one of them smaller than the other. Rinse them carefully
inside. Then take the eggs, remove the shells, and separate the whites from
the yolks. Take the small bladder, mix the yolks and put them into the smaller
bladder, until the bladder is full. Tie the bladder up carefully and give it
into a pot. Let it boil, until the big yolk becomes solid. Then take away the
bladder from the big yolk. Take the bigger bladder and cut a hole in it, big
enough to put in the big yolk. Sew up this hole in the bigger bladder with the
big yolk within. Then you have to mix up the white of the eggs. Take a funnel,
put it into the opening hole of the bigger bladder and pour the white of the
eggs on top of the yolk within the bigger bladder, so that the bladder is
filled. Tie it up, put it into the pot and let it boil once more. The white of
the eggs will boil around the big yolk, and there will be one big egg. You can
serve it with a sauce of vinegar.

Read the full text here:
https://linguistlist.org/cookbook/recipe-display.cfm?ID=236

Please support the LINGUIST List Fund Drive 2015 with a contribution to our
nest egg:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Thank you and enjoy!

Your LINGUIST List Team