26.1576, Language Documentation: Fried Eggs (XaViTaH) Recipe

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 24 13:39:50 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1576. Tue Mar 24 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1576, Language Documentation: Fried Eggs (XaViTaH) Recipe

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:38:21
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear Subscribers, Linguists, Language Lovers, and Amateur Chefs,

Our goal at the LINGUIST List is to provide valuable information and services to our readers. One such spring of knowledge is our culinary typology - the LINGUIST List Cookbook:

http://linguistlist.org/cookbook/

If you have a recipe for some language lasagna, Proto-Indo-European pie, or any food for thought, we would love to include it in our Cookbook! We are hoping to expand this year into traditional recipes written in other languages with their translations into English. Please contribute to our endeavor by emailing us at:

funddrive at linguistlist.org

Please consider donating to our 2015 Fund Drive as well:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org

Today, we’re featuring Fried Eggs (XaViTaH)!

Eggs are often eaten as part of the morning meal. Fried eggs are usually served with orange juice, toast, a beverage (coffee, tea or milk), and either hash-brown potatoes, French fries, or grits (in the southern United States).

The following topics are discussed in this chapter:
- Ingredients
- Required equipment
- Preparation steps
- Additional information

Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons of cooking oil (olive oil or canola oil), margarine, or butter
- 1 or 2 eggs per person
- Salt and pepper, as desired

Required Equipment:
- A small (25 cm) skillet or frying pan (MaXVaT)
- A spatula
- Gas or electric stove

Preparation:
1. Carefully crack open the eggs into a cup or glass.
- Caution: If an egg says anything to you, do not break it. If you do, all of
the king’s horses and all of the king’s men couldn’t put it back together
again.

2. Examine the eggs to determine that they are fresh, not discolored, and not
fertilized.
- We recommend cracking the eggs by knocking them against the edge of the cup or glass approximately half-way between the small end and the big end. In A Voyage to Lilliput, Jonathan Swift describes how a controversy about whether to break eggs at the wide end or the narrow end led to a series of civil wars.

3. Place the margarine, butter, or cooking oil in the frying pan.

4. Heat until a drop of water would sizzle if dropped into the pan, and then
gently pour the eggs into the pan.

5. Allow the eggs to fry until the yolk begins to harden.

6. Using the spatula, carefully flip the eggs over and allow them to cook for
one more minute.
- Eggs should be sufficiently cooked to avoid the possibility of Salmonella enteritidis poisoning.

7. Transfer the eggs from the frying pan to a plate, using the spatula if necessary.

8. Serve while hot.

Read the full text here: http://new.linguistlist.org/cookbook/176/

Please support the LINGUIST List Fund Drive 2015 with a donation:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Thank you and enjoy!

Your LINGUIST List Team