26.2304, Calls: Philosophy of Language, Pragmatics, Semantics/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 4 18:02:40 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2304. Mon May 04 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2304, Calls: Philosophy of Language, Pragmatics, Semantics/UK

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 14:02:32
From: Nathan Duckett [nathan.duckett at manchester.ac.uk]
Subject: Semantics and Pragmatics at Manchester 2015

Full Title: Semantics and Pragmatics at Manchester 2015
Short Title: SPM 2015

Date: 29-Jul-2015 - 29-Jul-2015
Location: Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Nathan Duckett
Meeting Email: semanticspragmaticsmanchester at outlook.com

Linguistic Field(s): Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 15-Jun-2015

Meeting Description:

We are pleased to announce the call for abstracts for Semantics and Pragmatics at Manchester. This aims to be a multi-disciplinary forum for philosophers and linguistics to discuss issues of mutual interest in the areas of semantics and pragmatics (and their interactions).

This year the conference will take place on the 29 July 2015. Our keynote speaker will be Prof. Stefano Predelli (University of Nottingham, UK).

The theme for the conference will be on conceptual and formal issues arising from lexically mandated context-sensitivity.

Accessibility Information:

The conference will take place on the second floor of the Arthur Lewis Building. Please see http://www.disabledgo.com/access-guide/the-university-of-manchester/arthur-lewis-building-2 for disabled access information. We can provide a portable loop system if required. If you have any queries or would like further information, please contact the conference organisers. Again, please note that none of these arrangements will affect the likelihood of your paper being accepted

Philosophy at the University of Manchester subscribes to the BPA/SWIP Good Practice Scheme. We also have a policy covering conduct at all of our events; please see http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/philosophy/events-and-seminars/events-policy/.

Finally, please direct all further enquiries to the conference organizers via semanticspragmaticsmanchester at outlook.com

Call for Papers:

Topics to be addressed may include (though need not be limited to):

- Indexicality
- Definite Descriptions
- Vagueness
- Evidentiality
- Modality
- Propositional Attitudes
- At-Issue vs Not-At-Issue Content
- Expressivity
- Prospects and Applications of Relativist Semantics

We particularly welcome submissions from PhD students and early career researchers, as well as submissions from women and other underrepresented groups in academia. Please submit abstracts for papers suitable for presentation in 20 minutes, and in a format suitable for peer review. Please also include a separate cover page giving the title of the paper and your contact details.  You can submit your abstract to:
semanticspragmaticsmanchester at outlook.com

Please note that the deadline for submissions is Mon 15 June 2015 at midnight GMT. We aim to notify successful applications by 29 June 2015.

All invited speakers will be provided with a conference dinner after the event. Thanks to generous funding by the Mind Association and the University of Manchester, we also aim to provide all speakers with accommodation on the night of 29 July. However, please note that this is subject to availability. If you wish to apply for this accommodation, please indicate you wish to do so when making your application (but please note that this won't affect the likelihood of your paper being accepted).