26.2307, Calls: Anthropological Ling, Language Documentation, Sociolinguistics/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 4 18:04:23 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2307. Mon May 04 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2307, Calls: Anthropological Ling, Language Documentation, Sociolinguistics/UK

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 14:04:14
From: Julia Sallabank [js72 at soas.ac.uk]
Subject: Gender and Linguistic Fieldwork

Full Title: Gender and Linguistic Fieldwork

Date: 08-Jun-2015 - 08-Jun-2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Julia Sallabank
Meeting Email: gender.fieldwork at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 07-May-2015

Meeting Description:

Workshop on gender and linguistic fieldwork
Location: SOAS, University of London, UK
Workshop date: 8 June 2015

The purpose of the workshop is to provide a platform for fieldworkers to exchange their experiences and reflections on the role gender plays in both their work and personal life while in the field.

A lot has been said about the relationship between gender and fieldwork in anthropology, but no such exchange has yet been initiated in documentary linguistics. By means of this workshop we hope to start bridging that gap, and hopefully make fieldworkers more aware of ways of conceptualising, and relating to both their gendered experience, and gender dynamics in their host communities.

This event is an all-day workshop, with two keynote talks as well as refereed presentations.

Keynote Speakers:

Natalia Buitrón-Arias, London School of Economics (LSE)
Grégory Deshoullière, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Paris

Professor Anne Pauwels, SOAS, University of London

2nd Call for Papers:

We welcome contributions to our workshop on gender and linguistic fieldwork. Please circulate this call to anyone else you think might be interested (apologies for cross-posting).

Extended deadline for abstracts: 7 May 2015
Notification of acceptance: 15 May 2015

We welcome contributions on one or both of the topics below:

1) Gender dynamics within speech communities and their relation to language behaviour and policy  (including personal and family language policy)

2) Gender as it relates to the experiences of fieldworkers.

Contributors should relate these topics to their own fieldwork experience. Contributions are invited from linguists, linguistic anthropologists, and other fieldworkers who work with language-related topics. Each of the presenters will have 20 minutes for the talk, plus 10 minutes for questions.

Abstracts should not exceed one page (including references), and should be sent to the workshop’s email: gender.fieldwork at gmail.com by the extended deadline of 7 May 2015. Abstracts should be anonymised, and the details of the author(s): name, position, academic affiliation and contact email should be included in the body of the email.

We look forward to seeing you at the workshop.

Organisers:

Karolina Grzech and Julia Sallabank

Department of Linguistics,
SOAS, University of London,