26.4432, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Senior Linguist, Chenope

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 8 14:29:26 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4432. Thu Oct 08 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4432, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Senior Linguist, Chenope

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 10:29:18
From: Katya Saint-Amand [ksaintamand at chenope.com]

University or Organization: Chenope
Job Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Job Title: Senior Linguist
Job Rank: Researcher; Scientist; Senior Linguist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Chenope is a young start-up building a business focusing on the analysis of heterogeneous data, to gain insight into the behaviour of organisations and large groups.

Chenope is an offspring of the award-winning software company Cataphora. It is founded and run by the same people who founded Cataphora - an experienced team of software and business professionals who have the know-how to build a profitable company in the traditional bootstrap way - only from customer revenue, no venture investment. Chenope already has proven technology components - it acquired Cataphora's core analytic technology after it divested its business operations to Ernst & Young.

We are looking for a highly experienced linguist, a versatile and well-rounded individual, who has experience with building a product, who has an appetite for challenges and diversity, and who understands the risk / reward curve in a start-up business.

Our team is geographically dispersed, operating from the U.S. (California and Virginia), U.K. (Edinburgh) and Singapore. For this position, we prefer the applicants to be based in Edinburgh or in the Bay Area (California), or to consider relocation in the reasonably near future.

Qualifications:

- Master's degree or Ph.D. degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics or a related field. Additional research and/or training in semantics and pragmatics preferred.
- Experience in ontology development, grammar engineering, and the ability to abstract over language data.
- Programming competence - you should be comfortable writing scripts (Python preferred), some experience with Java and/or R is a plus.
- Familiarity with statistical methods in NLP, and state-of-the-art NLP tools (e.g., NLTK, Stanford NLP); familiarity with open-source machine-learning libraries (WEKA, Mahout, Mallet) a plus.
- Experience with language processing tools for languages other than English.
- Native or near-native fluency in more than one language preferred - we especially welcome applications from French, German, Turkish and Arabic speakers.
- Intellectual curiosity critical.
- Comfortable with performing both intellectually complex and mundane tasks as needed to advance the goals of the business.

Even if you don't have all the qualifications listed above, but you think that you have the potential for learning and development, you could still consider sending your application.

We currently do not sponsor visa applications, so applicants must be fully authorised to work in the U.K. or in the U.S.

We expect to have funding for this position available around the start of the next calendar year. The starting salary will be modest, but will increase over time as the company grows. The stock options will be extremely generous, reflecting the fact that Chenope is an employee owned company. Basic benefits as appropriate to the location (e.g. health insurance in the US) will be provided.

Please submit your cover letter and CV to the application email below. In your cover letter, please include the following information:

- Your motivation for seeking a job in a start-up
- Your motivation for seeking a job at this start-up in particular
- How you would like to contribute to the growth of the business
- Your availability
- Your preferred linguistics-related book

For informal inquiries, please contact directly Katya Saint-Amand (email below).

Application Deadline: 27-Jan-2016 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: work at chenope.com
Contact Information:
	Ms. Katya Saint-Amand
	Email: ksaintamand at chenope.com