27.4117, Jobs: General Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Southern Maine

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 13 19:16:20 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4117. Thu Oct 13 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4117, Jobs: General Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Southern Maine

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:16:12
From:  Employment Manager [usmjobs at maine.edu]
Subject: General Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Southern Maine, Maine, USA

University or Organization: University of Southern Maine
Job Location: Maine, USA
Job Title: Assistant Professor Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Southern Maine (a unit of
the College of Science, Technology and Health) invites applicants for a
Tenure-track Assistant Professor position. The position will start September
1, 2017.  The Linguistics program is based on USM’s Portland campus, a short
walk from downtown Portland.

Our undergraduate general linguistics major features rigorous course work in
most core theoretical areas in generative linguistics, and provides students
with pathways to graduate study and careers in linguistics, speech-language
pathology and audiology, computer science, ESL, and law, among others. Some
students combine the general linguistics major with extensive study in ASL or
interpreting via our nationally accredited ASL/English Interpreting program.

The Department is seeking an individual with exceptional promise as a
scholar-teacher, one who will play an active, creative role in their area of
expertise in linguistics, and who will leverage both the breadth and depth of
their disciplinary expertise to help a broad audience of students (majors and
non-majors), faculty colleagues, and members of the community appreciate the
centrality of language in an adequate understanding of human nature. The
Department has identified two areas of expertise in linguistics that offer
attractive opportunities for the further development of our program and our
integration with other programs at USM and the U Maine System. These include
second language acquisition and computational linguistics. We will especially
welcome applications from candidates with primary commitments in either of
these areas.

Whatever the candidate’s area of disciplinary expertise, we will need the new
hire to sustain the Department’s long-standing commitment to the application
of experimental methods and statistics to the study of language. This entails
engaging students in the candidate’s research program, and being a mentor on
independent study and thesis projects, as well as teaching, “Introduction to
Language Research,” the capstone course for our majors in general linguistics
and in the Speech and Language Science concentration.

The successful applicant will be prepared to assume a course load of three
courses per semester (typically nine credits per semester). The new faculty
member will cover a variety of courses, but we build our curriculum around a
stable long-term plan that allows faculty to build, maintain and develop
teaching specializations both inside and outside of their primary interests in
linguistics. We value quality teaching very highly and will support and
collaborate with the successful candidate in developing courses that bring
motivated and capable students toward advanced competency.

For a complete listing and how to apply:  see application URL below.

USM is an EEO/AA employer.  All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

Application Deadline: 10-Jan-2017
	, ME
Web Address for Applications: https://usm.hiretouch.com/view-all-jobs
Contact Information