28.1794, Books: Children's Peer Talk: Cekaite, Blum-Kulka, Grøver, Teubal (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 12 19:31:16 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1794. Wed Apr 12 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1794, Books: Children's Peer Talk: Cekaite, Blum-Kulka, Grøver, Teubal (eds.)

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Michael Czerniakowski <mike at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:30:40
From: Jack Groutage [jgroutage at cambridge.org]

 Title: Children's Peer Talk
Subtitle: Learning from Each Other
Publication Year: 2017
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/sociolinguistics/childrens-peer-talk-learning-each-other?format=PB

Editor: Asta Cekaite
Editor: Shoshana Blum-Kulka
Editor: Vibeke Grøver
Editor: Eva Teubal

Paperback: ISBN:  9781316644904 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 34.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781316644904 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 22.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781316644904 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 29.89

Abstract:

Inside and outside the classroom, children of all ages spend time interacting
with their peers. Through these early interactions, children make sense of the
world and co-construct their childhood culture, while simultaneously engaging
in interactional activities which provide the stepping stones for discursive,
social and cognitive development. This collection brings together an
international team of researchers to document how children's peer talk can
contribute to their socialization and demonstrates that if we are to
understand how children learn in everyday interactions we must take into
account peer group cultures, talk, and activities. This book will be of
interest to students and researchers in the fields of language acquisition,
sociolinguistics, pragmatics and discourse analysis, and related disciplines.
It examines naturally occurring talk of children aged from three to twelve
years from a range of language communities, and includes ten studies
documenting children's interactions and a comprehensive overview of relevant
research.

1. Children's peer talk and learning: uniting discursive, social and cultural
facets of peer interaction. Editors' introduction Asta Cekaite, Shoshana
Blum-Kulka, Vibeke Grøver and Eva Teubal
Part I. Children's Peer Talk and Extended Discourse:
2. 'Now I said that Danny becomes Danny again' – a multifaceted view of
kindergarten children's peer argumentative discourse Sara Zadunaisky Ehrlich
and Shoshana Blum-Kulka
3. Narrative performance, peer group culture and narrative development in a
preschool classroom Ageliki Nicolopoulou, Carolyn Brockmeyer Cates, Aline de
Sá and Hande Ilgaz
4. 'Let's pretend you're the wolf!' The literate character of pretend play
discourse in the wake of a story Esther Vardi-Rath, Eva Teubal, Hadassah
Aillenberg and Teresa Lewin
5. Explanatory discourse and historical reasoning in children's talk: an
experience of small group activity Camilla Monaco and Clotilde Pontecorvo
6. Evaluation in pre-teenagers' informal language practices around texts from
popular culture Janet Maybin
Part II. Children's Peer Talk and Second Language Learning:
7. Peer interaction, framing and literacy in preschool bilingual pretend play
Amy Kyratzis
8. Metasociolinguistic stance taking and the appropriation of bilingual
identities in everyday peer language practices Ann-Carita Evaldsson and
Sahlström Fritjof
9. 'Say princess' – the challenges and affordances of young Hebrew L2 novices'
interaction with their peers Shoshana Blum-Kulka and Naomi Gorbatt
10. Language play, peer group improvisations and L2 learning Asta Cekaite and
Karin Aronsson
11. The potentials and challenges of learning words from peers in preschool. A
longitudinal study of second-language learners in Norway Veslemøy Rydland,
Vibeke Grøver and Joshua Lawrence
12. What, when and how do children learn from talking with peers? Katherine
Nelson.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Language Acquisition
                     Pragmatics
                     Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=114473

PUBLISHING PARTNER

    Cambridge University Press
        http://us.cambridge.org

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Akademie Verlag GmbH
        http://www.oldenbourg-verlag.de/akademie-verlag

    Bloomsbury Linguistics (formerly Continuum Linguistics)
        http://www.bloomsbury.com

    Brill
        http://www.brill.nl

    Cambridge Scholars Publishing
        http://www.c-s-p.org

    Cascadilla Press
        http://www.cascadilla.com/

    Classiques Garnier
        http://www.classiques-garnier.com/

    De Gruyter Mouton
        http://www.degruyter.com/

    Edinburgh University Press
        http://www.euppublishing.com

    Elsevier Ltd
        http://www.elsevier.com/

    Equinox Publishing Ltd
        http://www.equinoxpub.com/

    European Language Resources Association (ELRA)
        http://www.elra.info/

    Georgetown University Press
        http://www.press.georgetown.edu/

    John Benjamins
        http://www.benjamins.com/

    Lincom GmbH
        http://www.lincom-shop.eu/

    MIT Press
        http://mitpress.mit.edu/

    Multilingual Matters
        http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

    Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG
        http://www.narr.de/

    Oxford University Press
        oup.com/us

    Palgrave Macmillan
        http://www.palgrave.com/

    Peter Lang AG
        http://www.peterlang.com/

    Rodopi
        http://www.rodopi.nl/

    Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
        http://www.routledge.com/

    Springer
        http://www.springer.com/

    University of Toronto Press
        http://www.utpjournals.com/

    Wiley-Blackwell
        http://www.wiley.com/

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Association of Editors of the Journal of Portuguese Linguistics
        http://www.fl.ul.pt/revistas/JPL/JPLweb.htm

    International Pragmatics Assoc.
        http://ipra.ua.ac.be/

    Linguistic Association of Finland
        http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/

    Morgan & Claypool Publishers
        http://www.morganclaypool.com/

    Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke (LOT)
        http://www.lotpublications.nl/

    Seoul National University
        http://j-cs.org/index/index.php

    SIL International Publications
        http://www.sil.org/resources/publications

    Universitat Jaume I
        http://www.uji.es/CA/publ/

    University of Nebraska Press
        http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/

    Utrecht institute of Linguistics
        http://www-uilots.let.uu.nl/

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.